Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

04 V70R no oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 V70R no oil pressure

I’ve been chasing an oil leak around the front of my 04 V70R for a couple of weeks now. Replaced the cam shaft seals on the front and I still had a small leak. Sooo, I decided to replace front seal on crank along with the oil pump seal and gasket. I’ve done this before on a 02XC70 and using a lip wizard makes it so much easier. I was able to fix that leak and all is well except the timing. I need to go back in a reset the timing.
On the R, once I got it back together, with I hope the timing set correctly, started it up and DIM tells me I have zero oil pressure. I said to myself, “What? How did I do that? All I did was replace a seal, an o-ring and a gasket a simple procedure. Where did I go wrong?” And then I said to myself, “I have no idea, clueless”. So, right now I’m like the NCAA, No Clue At All.
Have any of the readers ever experienced this? I could use some guidance and direction, I’m old enough now to listen.
Thanks
Craig

Old 04-19-2017, 10:40 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Barnacle Bill
I’ve been chasing an oil leak around the front of my 04 V70R for a couple of weeks now. Replaced the cam shaft seals on the front and I still had a small leak. Sooo, I decided to replace front seal on crank along with the oil pump seal and gasket. I’ve done this before on a 02XC70 and using a lip wizard makes it so much easier. I was able to fix that leak and all is well except the timing. I need to go back in a reset the timing.
On the R, once I got it back together, with I hope the timing set correctly, started it up and DIM tells me I have zero oil pressure. I said to myself, “What? How did I do that? All I did was replace a seal, an o-ring and a gasket a simple procedure. Where did I go wrong?” And then I said to myself, “I have no idea, clueless”. So, right now I’m like the NCAA, No Clue At All.
Have any of the readers ever experienced this? I could use some guidance and direction, I’m old enough now to listen.
Thanks
Craig
I've never done this job - but is it possible that the oil pick tube may not be properly sealed at the oil pump? I attached a couple of pdf's to hopefully help

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VIDA Print.pdf (199.4 KB, 157 views)
File Type: pdf
VIDA Print-2.pdf (1.43 MB, 549 views)
Old 04-19-2017, 12:35 PM

Thanks Smith Volvo. Once again I relearn the importance of double checking for tightness of fasteners. Oil pump was not fully torqued down, only finger tight. Oh well, I had nothing else to do today except work on this car. Be Well.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:06 PM

Got it all back together with good oil pressure and I really do think that the timing is finally right. Now this weekend I have an 06 S60 T5 to do the same stuff on.