Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

2000 V70 Steering Wheel Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 V70 Steering Wheel Vibration

I am having a significant vibration in my steering wheel between 60-70 mph. I put new Bridgestone G009 tires on in February and have had them rebalanced several times and no longer think its the tires. I've even pulled off the front wheels individually andran with the spare on each side but it still vibrated. The vibration seems to be worse in warmer weather to add to the confusion. I do think I have warped rotors since I get also get a steering wheel shimmy under breaking but thisshouldn't cause the steering wheel to vibrate at speed, should it? Although Firestone said the rotorsappeared acceptable when measured. I've considered that it might be a bad wheel bearing but the wheels have no lateral play. I've also considered struts or bushings since it does moan and groan in tight turns (into parking spots) but I have been reassured by the dealer that everything looks fine. Does anyone have any advise or experience with similar problems / symptoms?
Richard[/align]

Old 06-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2000 V70 Steering Wheel Vibration

Chances are its going to be the top mount for the strut, whishbone bushes or the steering arm ball joints (OR ALL three) that are shot. The reason it gets worse under braking is that you are altering the loadings on thesuspension geometry(which are also affected by ambient temperature which affects ALL dynamic systems), a warped brake disc (rotor to you) will cause the brake pedal to "flutter" as well as the vibration, try accellerating and VERY gently put yourleft footon the brake you are not trying to brake just cause the wheel rotation to be retarded(just in case make sure NOBODY is behind you and you are on a straight bit of road! 'cos if you panic your foot will go hard down and you will come to an igniminious halt in a cloud of tyre smoke [:@]d'oh!)... if the discs are straight you should get NO difference in the vibration it they aren't then the vibration will increase.

Tramlining will indicate guttered suspension bushes and a clunk when going over a crest at speed will point to a knackered top mount on one or both struts... but the rule is if one side has gone replace them both.

Cheers