Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

2004 2.4D5 losing brake fluid - leaking clutch cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 2.4D5 losing brake fluid - leaking clutch cylinder?

Hi. I have a 2004 2.4 D5 which has used about 750ml brake fluid over the past 6 weeks. Had all the brakes checked and no leak there. Local mechanic identified today that the clutch slave cylinder is leaking fluid. Here's the problem....

About 6 weeks ago (before I noticed any leak) I had a different mechanic check into why the cruise control was failing. They told me that the master clutch cylinder was oozing (not leaking) fluid onto the clutch sensor and that was causing the sensor to register that the clutch was depressed and so causing the cruise control to cut out. They replaced the sensor and the master cylinder at a considerable cost. Then I noticed that I had to continually top up the brake fluid, but I didn't connect it with the clutch, as I thought it was the brakes.

Now I am being told that the master cylinder would never leak onto the sensor as it's a different part of the engine. So:

1. Could the master cylinder leak fluid onto the clutch sensor?
2. Was I ripped of when I was told I needed a new master cylinder?
3. Assuming the above answers are "no" and "yes" respectively, what should I do? I'm thinking I should go back to the first mechanic and confront them but want to get my facts right first. I'm no mechanic myself unfortunately!

Thanks for your help,

SJ.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EssJay
1. Could the master cylinder leak fluid onto the clutch sensor?
2. Was I ripped of when I was told I needed a new master cylinder?
3. Assuming the above answers are "no" and "yes" respectively, what should I do? I'm thinking I should go back to the first mechanic and confront them but want to get my facts right first. I'm no mechanic myself unfortunately!

Thanks for your help,

SJ.
  1. Don't know what "clutch sensor" you're referring to; but then I'm not really familiar with this specific vehicle either. Typically there's a switch on the clutch pedal used for sensing if the clutch is depressed or not. Would think the clutch master cyl woud have to be leaking pretty bad to get fluid on it...
  2. Maybe, probably, but did you look at the old part? My guess, they found the clutch switch problem and while they were in there noticed just a bit of fluid coming from the master cyl. Likely scenario; could it have gone longer? Sure. Would it have failed eventually? Sure.
  3. If this is 2004 MY, then it's probably due to have both clutch cyls replaced. Do you have regular hydraulic fluid flushes; every 2-3 years? If not, these failures could have been prevented, or at least postponed. Get the clucth slave replaced asap.
In the future, when your mech says you need to have XYZ replaced, be a curious george and ask him to "show me"; ask lots of questions.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply gdog. Just as an update, I called a Volvo mechanic who told me that the master cylinder could "seep" fluid onto the sensor so a proper repair for that condition would be to replace the master cylinder and the sensor, as was done.

In the course of the replacement, the fluid would need to be drained and the action of doing that could exacerbate any latent problem in the slave cylinder, causing a leak. So that could explain it.

Just need to get the slave replaced now, which is apparently a 7-8 hour job. :-(

Old 08-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EssJay
Just need to get the slave replaced now, which is apparently a 7-8 hour job. :-(
What??!!! That can't be right!! What do they have to do, R+R the trans??

Like I said, I am not familiar with this specific vehicle, but I used to replace clutch slave cyls on BMWs in less than a hour, and that's including the fluid flush!! Get a 2nd opinion on this please...