Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Acceleration from stop = strong pull to right

Old 05-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration from stop = strong pull to right

Hi all,
I'm hoping that you Volvo experts out there can give me a hand. Car in question is a 2006 V70 2.5T AWD with about 50000 miles. Wheels were just road-force balanced on Hunter machine.

Immediately upon accelerating from a stop, my wheels pull hard the right about 15-20 degrees (and turn the steering wheel) until the car is moving about 15mph where it straightens out for the most part.

It's to the point where if I wasn't holding the wheel, over a span of 20ft, my car will move over about 3ft to the right. I don't know much about cars. Is there differential in FWD that might be putting too much torque to the left front wheel? Or maybe a sticking right front brake?

Is there something in particular I could check? The car pulls a bit to right in general, and the steering is never quite centred (always to the right just a hair).

Thanks,
Vince

Old 05-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pull w/ steering wheel off-center

Hello, I'm not a Volvo expert. I do like the ease with which you can inspect a brake caliper. See if the guide pins and mating surfaces are lubed. You can look for uneven pad wear if such a condition is old enough. See if your right lower control arm is bent or not. A little slide into a curb is all you (or the previous owner, spouse, kids) need to bend it. It would immediately change the steering wheel angle. Do you have a jack and safety stands? They go on sale a lot. Get a floor jack and 2 stands. Remove both front wheels (once the car is lifted safely) and compare the brake hardware and control arms. You must get your hands a little dirty. Post back and tell us what you learned. Where are you located? Kira

Old 05-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the lousy Volvo jack, and a floor jack that I used to use for my Hyundai. Unfortunately, the Volvo suspension seems to go on forever, and the jack tops out before the car lifts. I'll have to pick up a new, full-size one.

I'm in Ottawa, ON.

It wouldn't surprise me to know that something is bent. I just replaced one rim ($250 refurbished - ouch) that I just found out was bent when we bought the car (got the car in November, so we just put the winters on right away - never used the summers). The wheel was damaged laterally, meaning it wasn't just a pothole; it was a side/face-on impact.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Damaged wheel

Hello, The inboard side of the control arm, where it's bolted to the frame, is where you'll see the bends. When you get your new jack don't forget a wheel chock and scrap 2X lumber to shim it. You'll save on gas and time when you're able to inspect your vehicle. You actually can share a good code reader with friends and save even more. Kira

Last edited by Georgeandkira; 05-12-2010 at 01:22 PM.