Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Alarm, Remotes, Tailgate Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm, Remotes, Tailgate Wiring

Today I believe I found the problem I was having with my alarm going off and my remotes even now work again. I was getting a tailgate open message while driving or first thing in the morning when I got in the car, which I also assume is why my alarm would also go off for no reason, so I took out the tailgate latch and checked the switch, nothing wrong with the switch. Traced the problem to the wiring in the left hinge area. Several broken or near broken wires. Repaired the wires and everything is working well again.
The alarm going off in the middle of the night and in random parking lots is very annoying so I'll be pleased if this problem is now gone.

I've only had the 2001 V70 T5 for a couple of weeks now and enjoy the car a great deal and will enjoy it even more if the alarm problem stays away.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:03 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Alarm, Remotes, Tailgate Wiring

I hope that fixes it as well.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:53 PM

sorry to highjack the thread (sort-of)but when i bought my V70, the latch wasn't closing, before i signed the paperwork, they replaces he latch, and now it's closing properly, but the tailgate open light on the dash is on. Where could i check for this switch you were talking about, and how do you take the latch out to check for it?

Thx in advance

BND

Old 10-13-2008, 10:54 PM

Taking out the tailgate latch took some time so I would suggest looking at a couple of other things first. Pull the plastic cover off the tailgate wiring harness in the left hinge area. While monitoring your tailgate open message on your dash move the wiring harness around some to see if the message goes off. This is what I did to find the wiring problem. If this doesn’t work then push on the tailgate near the latch to see if the message goes away, this could also be a wiring issue though. If you need to check the switch or replace the latch you have to do the following. Remove the tailgate inner panel, 4 torx screws and pry off the inner latch release lever cover. This cover has two inner tabs that need to push/pulled inward to release the cover. There are a couple of slots to help with this. After the cover is removed you pull the inner panel pins loose and move the panel towards the car to free the panel of the lock rod. There is trim cap that may need to be removed first. Then remove two torx screws and remove the inner latch release and the rod that slides into the latch. Note where this goes before removing, it just slides into a slot in the latch. There are a couple of locking/unlock rods attached to the latch. One can removed by moving the end of the rod straight out of the plastic connector, the other rod as a clip that needs to pried off and rotated.
Remove the electrical connector; a small screwdriver helps with the side clips. Unscrew 3 large torx screws and the latch can be removed. The plastic assembly can be removed from the latch after removing a couple of more screws. You’ll see the small switch and arm. In my case the switch measured fine so I had to look elsewhere for the problem. All the switch does is ground a signal to the CEM so if there is an open anywhere it thinks the tailgate is open.