Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C question

Hi:
My A/C does not seem to be putting out the volume of cold air as it used too. I purchased one of those recharge system cans from the Store. The Can has a pressure meter on the top. My Compressor seems to be clicking in and out every few seconds. When I connected the Can to the A/C system the pressure would show low normal and then jump to high normal (right below the overcharge yellow area) every few seconds as the compressor cut in and out. I did not want to aid fluid because I did not know if it was OK. A mechanic told me the compressor clicking on and off every few seconds was due to low coolant level. Here is my question. Should I aid extra coolant? Does anyone have any idea's what is happening?

Thanks in advance.

Mason

Old 04-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the compressor start turning on and off frequently, this is usually a sign of low freon. Why not take it to a local shop for an A/C recharge?

Old 04-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Default cost

Because if I do it myself it costs $22. If I bring it to the shop they want $162. I wanted to find out if it was just low freon and I could try filling it.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let us know if the recharge fixes it.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:46 PM

I am not at all familiar with the V70 controls; but I will give you a general answer based upon my experience as an AC Tech with other vehicles. Almost all systems use some variation of the same type controls. Nine out of ten times when a system cycles rapidly without cooling, it is a low refrigerant situation. However, the same thing can happen when the high pressure cut-off switch is triggered by excessively high pressures on the discharge side of the system.

Excessive pressures on the discharge side may be caused by an overcharged system, a restriction in the discharge side (usually at the orifice tube/expansion valve), or a lack of airflow over the condenser.

Unfortunately, the DIY kits only come with one hose and a gauge to measure pressure on the suction side. It is impossible to measure the discharge pressures without a proper manifold and hose setup with two gauges.

If you don't have the proper equipment and training to work with AC, it is very difficult to diagnose a problem. I would always recommend that you have the car checked by a professional. BTW, the $162 for a recharge is way high. If you call around, you should be able to get it done for much less.

OTOH, since you already have the recharge kit, you might try adding refrigerant in very small increments. If your problem is low refrigerant, you should immediately notice a change in the frequency of the system cycling on and off. You probably will not have to use the entire can of refrigerant. R134a is much different than the old R12 freon. The system will react much more rapidly to small amounts of R134a.

Hope this helps...good luck...let us know.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:57 PM

Thanks for your help. I tried the Recharge kit and everything seems to be working OK. After I added the coolant, the pressure is in the normal range and the Compressor cycles ON/OFF in a normal manner. The airflow temp is giving me a good Delta of anywhere from 20 to 30 degrees of cooling depending on fan speed. So once again, thanks for the help.