Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

High beam indicator light???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High beam indicator light???

I had my car at the dealer and had them check my High Beam indicator light on the dashboard. When I turn on my high beam the dash indactor light will light up, with the high beam still on the dash light will shut off randomly. Then if I cycle the high and low beams it just does not work anymore. Then the next time I drive the car it works. The service tech was able to reproduce the problem and replaced a relay. Very next day- Same issue. What do you think it is??? Service tech and manager are not sure. Car is going back in for ongoing transmission issues. I would like to help the tech figure it out. Thanks.

Ted

Old 02-09-2010, 04:19 AM

i've had that problem. it's very dim when the truck is on, then it goes away when the headlights are on.

when the truck is off, it stays on for like 3-5 seconds, then i think it turns off by itself. i know it didn't do that when my DRLs were operational, so yeah im thinking it's from the cut.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:44 AM

Likely the tiny bulb in the dash cluster itself.
Sometimes the bulb flickers intermittently.

I just wrote a DIY for the cluster bulbs here. Check the last picture with Bulb PN 977709:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/diy-1998-volvo-v70-instrument-cluster-removal-bulb-change-38386/

Old 02-14-2010, 02:59 PM

I had my car at the dealership and they pulled my insrument cluster and decided that it was a bulb that was causing the intermintant problem. It cost me $120. If it would have been the cluster it would be covered by the extended warrenty. Got the car back yesterday and drove it this morning and still have the same problem. High beam indicator light is on when I first start the car and works when I cycle the switch but after a bit of driving it will stop iluminating. So car is going back to the "Stealership". and I will be getting my parts and labor payment back. I assume that they will have to replace the cluster since volvo does not like to fix things only replace them.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by TedBull
I had my car at the dealership and they pulled my insrument cluster and decided that it was a bulb that was causing the intermintant problem. It cost me $120. If it would have been the cluster it would be covered by the extended warrenty. Got the car back yesterday and drove it this morning and still have the same problem. High beam indicator light is on when I first start the car and works when I cycle the switch but after a bit of driving it will stop iluminating. So car is going back to the "Stealership". and I will be getting my parts and labor payment back. I assume that they will have to replace the cluster since volvo does not like to fix things only replace them.
I still think it is the TINY bulb that is the problem. You have 2 options:

1. Use my DIY above and make sure you mark the location of the Hi-Beam bulb. It is very easy to get mixed up and replace the wrong bulb.

2. Another easier approach is from BELOW: remove the cover bewlow the steering wheel. The while laying on your back looking up, you should see the tiny bulbs.
Make sure you replace the correct bulb!
Doing this from BELOW is much easier.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by cn90
I still think it is the TINY bulb that is the problem. You have 2 options:

1. Use my DIY above and make sure you mark the location of the Hi-Beam bulb. It is very easy to get mixed up and replace the wrong bulb.

2. Another easier approach is from BELOW: remove the cover bewlow the steering wheel. The while laying on your back looking up, you should see the tiny bulbs.
Make sure you replace the correct bulb!
Doing this from BELOW is much easier.
They replaced the bulb as already stated. I dropped the car off this morning and showed the tech how when you give the dash a little smack it causes the light to flicker, go on, or go off. They called me back and have determined that it is the DIM or Drivers Information Module. It is a $1200 dollar service but is covered under my extended warrenty. The best money ever spent was buying the 100,000 mile 5 year extended warrenty for $2,000 dollars. In the 65,000 miles we have put on our car we have had enough problems to pay for the warrenty twice. Not impressed with the quality of volvo anymore. This is absolutly my last volvo purchase.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by TedBull
They replaced the bulb as already stated. I dropped the car off this morning and showed the tech how when you give the dash a little smack it causes the light to flicker, go on, or go off.....
Thi is EXACTLY my point. You never know those Volvo dealer knuckleheads did. They might have replaced the wrong bulb (either unintentionally or intentionally so you buy something else!) that belonged to another indicator.

As I told you, replacing the Intsrument Bulb from BELOW is very easy! Just make sure you locate the bulb accordingly. There are a whole bunch of bulbs in that cluster and it is very easy to get mixed up!

PS: The problem is that you drive a 2003 model, or a 7-year-old car and you still go to dealer. Then you cannot complain that it costs money to maintain it. Some people are mechanically inclined, and some not, but owning an old car ---> need to learn how to DIY to save money.

Last edited by cn90; 02-16-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by cn90
Thi is EXACTLY my point. You never know those Volvo dealer knuckleheads did. They might have replaced the wrong bulb (either unintentionally or intentionally so you buy something else!) that belonged to another indicator.

*** That is possible, I worked for Cadillac a long time ago and saw some questionable repairs done by ther master tech.

As I told you, replacing the Intsrument Bulb from BELOW is very easy! Just make sure you locate the bulb accordingly. There are a whole bunch of bulbs in that cluster and it is very easy to get mixed up!

*** They showed me the bulb that came out of the cluster and it looked fine. That is when I told them that the symptoms where not that of a bulb. They are refunding my parts and labor charge for the bulb misdiagnosis.

PS: The problem is that you drive a 2003 model, or a 7-year-old car and you still go to dealer. Then you cannot complain that it costs money to maintain it. Some people are mechanically inclined, and some not, but owning an old car ---> need to learn how to DIY to save money.
*** The only reason it goes to the dealer is becuase that is where I purchased it, It has an extended warrenty good for another 15,000 miles. So I make them fix anything that goes wrong and national warranty pays for it. I was not complaining about the price of repairs but about the frequency of problems with our new volvo. My other three volvo's had very little problems, All I am saying is that volvo quality is a thing of the past. I am a Chair Lift Mechanic by trade and a automotive and motorcycle mechanic by hobby. The day my warrenty expires is the last day that car will see a dealership. I am capable of doing any and all repairs on our car but why spend my time and money when it is under warrenty. Thank you for the advice on the bulbs, If I have one go out in the future that will save me on pulling the dash. I have never seen a bulb cause those symptoms, it is always something else like a loose socket or wires. Or in my case a failing DIM.

Last edited by TedBull; 02-16-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:36 PM

I got my car back today. The indicator light works great because they installed a new "DIM" aka istrument cluster. The only problem is they installed a newer syle one out of a XC70 or something. It fits just fine and functions just fine but I do not care for the new style of the gauges, They are slightly differant in a bad way in my opinion. I am going to make the dealer get the cluster for the proper year of my car. I dont know why they cannot get this right. Four trips to the dealer already for a indicator light. I am not trying to be difficult I just want model and year correct parts on my car. And I have to look at the gauges all the time so i better be happy with it and I was just happy with the original cluster. The dealer installed one they had on the shelf instead of ordering the right one.