Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

New to the Forum....Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Forum....Question

I read some where on thisvolvoforums, cant remember if it was on the S60or the V70, but basically it was saying that you could not install a downpipe and a ECU upgradebecause of detonation, something like you would get 21-22 PSI turbo boost. Well I e-mailed this company ( Heico Sportiv ) to get a 4real answer and this it what he said:.......... also are all the performance upgrades for Volvo this high in price? I have a price list on PDF, but dont know how to post that yet.

Thanks for the inquiry. Sorry for the late response...

Pricing: we List the HOP system (Heico Online Programming) ECU tuning systemfor $1290.00 The Downpipe we sell for $1599.

Details:

It’s fine to fit both at the same time, in fact, this is what we generally recommend. What I think you may have read was a common issue with another brand out there, who has issues with detonation if you fit both the downpipe and the ECU. In our case, we tune both to work with each other, and we don’t “tune to the downpipe”, meaning the ECU will adjust to as much air flow as you offer it, but we don’t run more boost on a car with a downpipe. The other issue has to do with the cat. If you run an extremely aggressive cat or an extremely aggressive file, you may find that in combination that this doesn’t work very well. In our case, as I say, we run the same file in either case, and the cat we use is the same used by AMG, Porsche Motorsports, etc…yes, it’s a racing cat, but no, it’s not aggressive enough to cause detonation.

In terms of boost, we do run right in that range. Most of the time you’d likely see boost levels in the 17-19 psi range, but if all conditions are met, you might see as high as 20ps (this is a bit rare, but you might see 20pounds in this weather that we’re having right now). There are real risks that are worth talking about here, as with anyone’s ECU tune. Running high boost levels is definitely going to put more stress on your engine, so this is something to consider. We certainly run as much boost as others out there, but adding boost at all to the R’s can be both habit-forming, in terms of your driving style, and expensive if something goes poorly. Happy to go through the in’s and out’s of all of this any time with you on the phone, but keep all this in the back of your mind as you decide.

In our view, boost is not the answer to all, btw. Our file ‘feels’ very nice because the area under the curve, so to speak, is very solid. 3rd and 4th gear performance is tremendous, so I think you’d be very pleased. Our goal in creating any ECU file is to have tractable, usable, smooth power. Making this so is quite difficult, as you might imagine, as opposed to just running lots of fuel and lots of boost.

At any rate: no problem running our downpipe and ECU together…that’s the way they’re designed.

Please let me know what other questions you have for us.

Thank you.