Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

P0301 misfire after driving thru water

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0301 misfire after driving thru water

2001 V70 non-turbo
Drove thru puddle of water just a bit ago. The car immediately started skipping real bad and CHECK ENGINE light started flashing. Went to AutoZone and they read the codes;
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire.

Need advice, please!

Old 10-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely the ignition coil for that cyl but that's a guess. Can test it by swapping #1 coil w/another cyl and then see if the misfire code follows the cyl or the coil.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello, gdog speaks true words. Did, by chance, the ignition "problem" dry out with time? How long a drive was it to the auto parts store? Did they clear the code for you? Do you have the tools (very few) and know-how (very easy) to swap a coil? Just for data: How many miles on your 2001? Do you have one of those "bottom splash shields"? Kira

Old 10-12-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by gdog
Most likely the ignition coil for that cyl but that's a guess. Can test it by swapping #1 coil w/another cyl and then see if the misfire code follows the cyl or the coil.
This is exactly what I did and it was indeed the coil pack. All fixed now. Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by Georgeandkira
Did, by chance, the ignition "problem" dry out with time? How long a drive was it to the auto parts store?
Was a good 20 min drive home and drivability never changed. Was real concerned as to whether I would make it home. When I pulled the #1 coil pack, no moisture was evident. Hit everything real good with compressed air before swapping #1 & #2 coil packs.

Did they clear the code for you?
NO. AZ says they are not allowed to clear codes but Advance Auto will.

Do you have the tools (very few) and know-how (very easy) to swap a coil?
I am a "gear head" from way back, but my passion has always been Mopar muscle. So, I have more than a "few" tools. This Volvo is my first venture into the world of working on a "new" car that is completely computer controled

How many miles on your 2001?
It now has around 140K on it ... bought it with ~120K on it.

Do you have one of those "bottom splash shields"?
Splash shield? Uhhh ...... NOPE!

I bought the car 3rd hand and found og owner's name in it. Called her and when I told her I now own her old car, her reply was "Uh-oh! God love you." Seems the car was her teen-age son's and she told me she was tired if him bringing it home after he had run thru, over or into something, so she donated it. I got it from the guy who bought it from the charity.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello, I was asking about the splash shield because I was still thinking about the water-shorting-you-out angle. Had I thought more I would've remembered that the plastic bottom shield was an accomodation for the diesel engine cars in Europe. I've been told by posters that no gas Volvo had the shield. You can see the 8 tapped mounting holes for it though. How much was your replacement coil? Kira

Old 10-12-2011, 01:54 PM

Well considering the splash of the water puddle some how caused the coil to fail, I would think a splash shield would be a really good idea!

Got the coil from AutoZone - made in Germany - $50.99