Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Possible owner, a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible owner, a few questions.

Hi all.

My wife and I are thinking about the purchase of a 1998 T-5 automatic wagon with 123,000 miles for $6,000. The lady who owns it says that she has had the following items fixed recently, and has the reciepts to prove it. (independent and dealer)

MAF Sensor
Ball Joint
Timing Belt
Engine strut mount
Brakes done on all 4 corners

Unfortunately, I cannot go look at the car myself, since it is about 150 miles away and I have to work, but my wife has business in the area this week and can go look at it. I can let her know what to look for in the reciepts for the work completed.

The owner tells me that the ABS light comes on, but her mechanic tells her that since she lives on a dirt road the sensor or something else for this item gets dirty causing this light to come on, and it would only come on again if he fixed it. Does this sound reasonable?

When I ran a Carfax on this vehicle, there were no service records for this vehicle. I dont know if every service visit to the dealer is usually listed in Carfax, I guess it probably depends upon the dealer's record keeping or something. I also noticed that Carfax usually lists any repair work that falls under warranty on a vehicle, and I have been trying to steer clear of cars that have had a lot of repair work done under warranty, since they could probably be trouble. I hope this car has not had any warranty repair work in hte past, which would indicate that it is not a lemon, but if records are not being kept, I guess it is hard to know.

The current owner has only had the car for a little over a year, so I'm not sure what kind of records she may have on the vehicle. She tells me that she is selling the car because she has too many cars.

Anyway to the point of this post. Do you think this car may be a good gamble? The price sounds good, and it sounds like quite a bit of the maintenance items have been done already. I will try to get an inspection on the car, but with the distance involved, and our schedules, I don't know if it is possible.

BTW, Does anyone know what the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times were for these cars? I would imagine it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 sec and 15.5 sec.

Thanks in advance

Old 11-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Default RE: Possible owner, a few questions.

How's the gearbox? Mine has been off the road for three weeks now trying to get fixed. Could cost up to $6k (still under warranty )

Old 11-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Default RE: Possible owner, a few questions.

The ABS light seems to be common - the repair is to have the ABS module reworked - see the link below:

http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/

I had it done on my 2001 T5 and no problems since and drove the car while the module was out for repair.

Also - see www.brickboard.com for more info on Volvos if you have not been there already - to see what common problems people have had with 98 T5's.

Timing belt replacement is a plus - did they also replace the tensioner at the same time?

Hope this helps,