Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Rear Fog Light?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Fog Light?

In the 01 V70....is the rear fog supposed to be only one side or on both?

Old 11-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Default RE: Rear Fog Light?

One side. It shows upcoming drivers which side to pass on.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:17 PM

I have a follow up question to this (I don't mean to highjack the thread). I have a 98 V70, and I have a button for a rear fog light, and when I turn it on, it lights up, but I can't see anything on the back, no evidence of a light other than the regular rear lights. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you get out of the car a check, or were you inthe car when you checked?
It only works if the headlight swith is on.
It is on the driver side at the bottom. Maybethe bulbis bad or you can check fuse 25.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: rmendoza

I have a follow up question to this (I don't mean to highjack the thread). I have a 98 V70, and I have a button for a rear fog light, and when I turn it on, it lights up, but I can't see anything on the back, no evidence of a light other than the regular rear lights. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Not sure if you need to have the front fogs on or not. Also, the bulb could be burned out. In countries that drive on the right side of the road, the light will be in the left taillight housing. In countries that drive on the left side of the road, the light will be in the right taillight housing.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:46 PM

I went out and checked, and there is no evidence of any fog light. I turned on the car, turned on the lights, turned on the blinkers, stepped on the break, and put it in reverse, all with the phantom fog light on, but nothing happened. I don't see where it would be though, as all the spaces on the rear lens seem to be occupied by other lights (break, reverse, driving, blinkers). So, I'll check it out tomorrow, maybe I'll take it apart. Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: rmendoza

I went out and checked, and there is no evidence of any fog light. I turned on the car, turned on the lights, turned on the blinkers, stepped on the break, and put it in reverse, all with the phantom fog light on, but nothing happened. I don't see where it would be though, as all the spaces on the rear lens seem to be occupied by other lights (break, reverse, driving, blinkers). So, I'll check it out tomorrow, maybe I'll take it apart. Thanks for the replies.
From the owner's manual: http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/...0_095.htm#pg95

pg. 97 Replacing bulbs (cont.)

Lamp location- right side (in trunk) Lamp location - right side (intrunk lid)

Tail light bulbs (sedans)

1. Tail light
2. Direction indicator
3. Brake light
4. Tail light
5. Back-up light
6. Rear fog light (left side only)

All the bulbs in the tail light unit are replaced from inside the trunk as follows:

1. Turn the two plastic screws and open the cover over the rear lamp unit in the trunk (or depress the catch on the cover on the trunk lid).
2. Press catch A or B and remove the bulb holder.
3. Let the connector with its wires remain attached to the bulb holder.
4. Remove the bulb by pressing in and turning counter-clockwise.
5. Insert a new bulb into the holder and reinstall the holder into the tail light assembly.
6. Close the cover.

Bulbs 1, 4:
5W/4 cp BA 15s

Bulb 2:
21W BAU 15 s (amber)

Bulb 3,5,6:
21W/32 cp BA 15s

Old 11-17-2008, 09:24 PM

Awsome. Thanks a lot. I will check tomorrow to see if I have a burned bulb.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:34 PM

My rear fog can be turned on even when the headlights are off.....well ok they're never off. But when the headlight switch is on and the DRL's are on you can turn on the rear fog. I'll hijack my own thread....shouldn't the DRL run at a lower power than the regular headlights? My DRL are just as bright as the headlights.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think i'll take mine apart this weekend too. My vehicle doesn't even have the front fog lights and I still get the indicator for the rear foglight and nothing lights up.

I had my headlight switch on at the time btw, i always keep it on.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:48 PM
Default It can be confusing

In response to those who have the rear fog light button but can't figure out where their rear fog light(s) is/are located, this may help. I have a 2006 XC90 with the rear fog light option. When I turn my rear fog light on using the button on the instrument panel, my driver's side red running light becomes brighter. It does not appear as a separate light or bulb, thought it may be a separate bulb, I am not sure, but what I am trying to clarify is that it does not appear as a separate light, it only brightens your existing running light on the driver's side in countries that drive on the right side of the road. I hope this helps. If you turn the rear fog light switch on and do not notice a difference in brightness of your running lights, then you probably need to replace the bulb.