Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Rebuilt transmission - flashing light

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 09:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rebuilt transmission - flashing light

Hi,

I am looking to replace my 95' 850 turbo with a 98 V70 Turbo AWD, 188k miles. Seller states that "transmission was rebuilt last year and shift just fine but warning light just started flashing a month ago". No codes are pulled.

Rear shaft has been disconnected.

What's the risk here?

Thanks

Old 01-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Next step

Hello, 1)Is the car on the road at this time? 2)What happened to your '95 850? 3)If the rear drive shaft has been pulled it's probably because the bevel gear went bad or the center bearing of the shaft went bad. Do you have the shaft? 4)Are you anywhere near the original (or current) owner? 5)You can take the car to a dealer and ask them to read the TCM AND inspect the bevel gear for you. It could be a very efficient and economical trip. Since you're so close, PM me and I'll tell you who I think is the best dealer to go to. 6)A guy over on Brickboard rebuilt his BG and listed all the parts-best post on the subject I've ever seen. There's a shop on Rt. 46E just east of Teterboro Airport which does gearbox work. 7)If your investigation goes as far as involving the rear drive shaft, there's a shaft shop on Rt. 17S in Carlstadt, NJ. 8)Who rebuilt the transmission? Maybe you can ask them to read the TCM for you. 9)You can't know the "risk here" until you get some facts. 10)Do you even need the AWD feature? If you don't, you need only read the transmission. 11)Do you have the time to gather some intell? It's all very close to NYC. Kira

Last edited by Georgeandkira; 01-02-2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: additional thoughts on the subject
Old 01-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See my answers in blue...

Originally Posted by Georgeandkira
Hello, 1)Is the car on the road at this time? Seller reports that car was driven until 1 month ago.

2)What happened to your '95 850? 850 was "injured" during the snow storm last week... https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/fixing-getting-another-one-48689/

3)If the rear drive shaft has been pulled it's probably because the bevel gear went bad or the center bearing of the shaft went bad. Do you have the shaft? Shaft will be in the trunk

4)Are you anywhere near the original (or current) owner? Car / Owner is in Rhode Island.

5)You can take the car to a dealer and ask them to read the TCM AND inspect the bevel gear for you. It could be a very efficient and economical trip. Since you're so close, PM me and I'll tell you who I think is the best dealer to go to. 6)A guy over on Brickboard rebuilt his BG and listed all the parts-best post on the subject I've ever seen. There's a shop on Rt. 46E just east of Teterboro Airport which does gearbox work. 7)If your investigation goes as far as involving the rear drive shaft, there's a shaft shop on Rt. 17S in Carlstadt, NJ.

8)Who rebuilt the transmission? Local shop in RI. I asked the owner, why did you rebuilt, rather than getting a used one. Answer was "same price, we opted for re-build".

Maybe you can ask them to read the TCM for you. 9)You can't know the "risk here" until you get some facts.

10)Do you even need the AWD feature? I prefer to have it, but not a "gotta have it"

If you don't, you need only read the transmission. 11)Do you have the time to gather some intell? Don't have a lot of free time (weekends only)

It's all very close to NYC. Kira
I did look and test-drove the car (around the block) since it does not have a registration/insurance.

I think the car is in Limp-Home mode, CEL was on, Trans Light was flashing. The current owner is the 2nd owner and purchased it 3.5 years ago with 93k miles. Car has 189k miles now, i.e. current owner drove it for about 27k miles a year.

Timing belt was not changed since 75k miles (tag on TB cover). Current owner reported that he never changed it.

Did not take the OBDII reader with me, so without knowing what it is, it is unfair to ask anyone for opinions.

Thank you for the answers / input.