Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

specific Q's changing a T-belt on a '99 V70

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default specific Q's changing a T-belt on a '99 V70

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and all I can say is that it's been a great resource so far.
My '99 V70 t5 needs its t-belt changed. While I'm at it I will replace the water pump the idler and the tensioner. In addition, the car leaks a pile of oil only after it has been driven. I am not sure from where as the oil gets splattered all over the t-belt cover. I assume it's the crank/oil pump seal, so I would like to replace it along with both the front exh and int cam seals. Now I have serached multiple threads regarding the t-belt change however there are a few specific questions I have as many of the threads were based on 850's.
I've attached a few pics to this thread too.
First, the exh cam sprocket - how do I get it off? (and what is that part that is on the sprocket?)
Next, the belt tensioner - unlike the early tensioners that need to be compressed before being installed, are there any special instrucitons for replacing the spring loaded tensioners?
I'm new with volvo's so please forgive my ignorance. I've searched and searched to find a thread that had either pics or more specific details regarding the later engines, with no luck. Does/can anyone direct me to a specific thread that deals with the later engines?
Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Attached Thumbnails specific Q's changing a T-belt on a '99 V70-img_3204.jpg   specific Q's changing a T-belt on a '99 V70-img_3206.jpg  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:33 AM

I don't have a lot of info. But, I just did the TB on my 98 and these are the instructions I followed.

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how...placement2.pdf

Old 11-07-2010, 08:01 PM

Hi guys. I spent a good portion of the day working on the car.
I have run into a few issue that I hope you can help me with.
First off, after pulling the rear intake cam plug, and Cam position sensor off the exhaust cam, it appears that the rear cam seals need to be replaced too. My question is how do I pull rear intake seal. It doesn't appear the same as the rear exhaust seal. (I've attached a pic). It looks like there is a metal ring infront of the seal, but I am not sure how to r&r it.
Second issue.
After locking the cams with my home made cam lockign tool, I had no trouble pulling the intake cam sproket to replace the front intake cam seal. My problem deals with the CVVT hub on the exhaust side. I can't get my 3/4" ratchet and torx bit to fit inside the hold-down bolt that attaches the CVVT and exhaust cam sproket to the cam, in addition to this issue, after using an 8mm wrench to try and turn the torx bit to break it lose the cvvt hold-down bolt, I'm appling so much force that the cam actually moved and bent/twisted the "fork" that locked the cam into place. I used 1/8"thin aluminum at first, but then jimmied some angle iron, and the same darn thing happened, after attemping to break the bolt lose, the cam twisted the angle iron.
I know that the CVVT hub bolt is really torqued, but I am at a loss as to how to solve this proble. Any ideas or suggestions would be really, really appreciated.
As a side note, even though the exhaust cam moved, I marked the preloaded CVVT sproket postion and the unloaded (ccw) CVVT position, so I think and hope that the cam is still where it should be.
Thanks guys, I'm stumped.
-Andrew

Attached Thumbnails specific Q's changing a T-belt on a '99 V70-img_3231.jpg  
Old 08-06-2011, 06:58 PM

Did you ever get an answer?

I have the same exact problem right now. I am being 1/8" steel tool that I made. Someone said you can leave it on and just take the pulley off. What did you end up doing?