Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

speedometer quits

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer quits

i have a v70 xc 1999 model and after driving for a few minutes the speedometr and odometer both quit . if you know about this please help me i was told it was the vss sensor so i replaced it but it did not work

Old 10-18-2004, 10:58 AM
JGK
Default RE: speedometer quits

Interesting. I have a '99 R model that has started to do the same thing. Though ours is intermittant (will quit, then come back to life). Check Engine and upshift arrow are also being lit, but they will reset themselves as well. Car seems to run just fine, though on occasion, when the speedometer quits, the transmission seems to go into "winter driving" mode such that pulling away from a stop sign feels like it's locked in 2nd gear.

vfrhon, did you ever get yours solved?

-Jay

Old 10-18-2004, 09:39 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I have seen this before im thinking that the speedo cluster is faulty.It is part of a network in the car and when they either short or are removed they drive the car nuts!They really wont set any codes but possibly a communication problem code.There is one other possibility that it is a software related problem.

Old 12-10-2004, 02:11 AM
JGK

Well, it took a while, but I think the problem has been solved. It appears to be a faulty transmission sensor.

I took it twice to an independent shop in town that does almost nothing but Volvos but he was unable to track it down. So I bit the bullet and took it to the dealer. The tech apparently had a lot of years of experience and between his equipment and a gut hunch, he seems to have fixed it. The rationale was that this sensor fed the data for the speedo, odo, and shifting. When it went bad, those items didn't know what to do.

The bill was about $280.

-Jay

Old 12-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm glad you got it fixed.Those sensors dont go bad often.I'm glad that is all it was and it didn't cost you and arm and a leg.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:14 AM

I'm reviving this post from 2004, since it applies to what is happening to my '94 Volvo 850 T station wagon. My odometer hasn't worked the whole time I have owned the car; same with the speedometer. Recently I was able to find out the true mileage by using the On Board Computer under the hood. It was about 120,000 miles higher than what the mechanical odometer has displayed. Luckily the engine had already been replaced before I bought it. So far I have replaced the gears that deteriorate and fall apart on the odometer; still doesn't work. I bought 4 used speed sensors and have tried 3 of them so far without any difference. It also has gone into the mode where it seems like first gear is non-existent. I have retrieved the updated mileage (from about a month of driving) and it has increased, so logically it would appear that the original speed sensor was doing its job. JGK mentioned that he replaced a transmission sensor but didn't say which one. Is there any more information on this topic? Thanks. P. S. I did purchase a non-turbo cluster from a '95 but it had a four pin connector on the odometer motor verses the two pin on the '94, so I couldn't use it. I installed it anyway just for fun but the odo/speedo didn't work; just the other gauges. I'm back to square one now.