Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Test drive today: '99 and '01 V70 T5 (some questions)

Old 09-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drive today: '99 and '01 V70 T5 (some questions)

Hello all,
New to the forum. I've got a 2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro (AWD) 5-speed. It has 96k on it. We will be having kids soon, and I'm thinking about "going back to my roots" and getting a Volvo. My family has always had Volvos. My Dad currently has a '84 240DL w/ 156k, an '86 740 w/ 215k, and an '02 V70 XC. I think I should have bought one instead of my Audi 6 years ago, but that's another story.
Anyway, test drove a '99 V70 T5 and a 2001 V70 T5 today. Here are some thoughts:

'99 V70 T5:
- 5-speed. Liked being able to shift for myself, but the action was slow (like the shifting mechanism was stiff). Is that normal?
- clutch friction point was almost to the floor (in the A4 it's very high). Normal?
- T5 is like a rocket. Reminds me of my motorcycle days. Didn't really notice the turbo lag, maybe I'm used to it in the Audi.
- Torque steer: didn't notice it. Lots of magazine reviews complained about it.
- Saw the typical upper engine mount problem - crack in the rubber.
- Handling: not as "connected" as my A4 but good.
- They wanted $10,995 for it. The motor mount needed to be fixed, as well as a tire rebalance (at least that's what it felt like) and the front power seat didn't work fore/aft.

2001 V70 T5:
- Automatic. Decided that I still can't live with one. It's not a bad auto but I still like manuals.
- More "subdued" or "refined" than the '99. Engine noise is less apparent, which I kind of missed. Still very fast, just quieter.
- More roomy. Liked the seating position (much like my Dad's XC, no surprise).
- Sometimes I would catch the toe of my shoe on something in the footwell when going from the brake to the gas - anyone else have this problem? (I wear size 12).
- I think the steering and handling were sharper than the '99.
- They wanted $15,400 for it. Only thing I noticed was that the dash cupholder was broken. Also, it had a vibration at 60mph - seemed like another tire balance issue. Is this common?

Anyway I am leaning towards a 2001+ V70 T5 5sp. I have time, I'm in no hurry, but I know the 5sp will be a wait. Some other questions:
- Any reason not to buy a 2001 and go to 2002?
- My Audi gives me fits sometimes with it's weirdo problems. Should I expect the same, better or worse with a Volvo? I miss the rock reliability of the 240 and 740.
- Can anyone with a 2001+ 5sp give me some comments on what they think of the clutch, stick, etc?
- Is there a FAQ somewhere that I can read up on common problems to look for when I'm shopping?

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Test drive today: '99 and '01 V70 T5 (some questions)

Everything I read says to stay away from 99-01. My mother in-law has an 01 V70 Automatic and has not had any problems whatsoever. My daughter has a 99 S80 and has had tons of problems. The 01's is the first year the V70 was put on the S80 frame as opposed to the S70 or the older 850. Neighbor has an 03 S80 and thinks it's great. Finding a V70 T5 five speed is going to be tough, so the fact that you found one, might be reason enough to jump right on it. The ETM is a problem, but since Volvo has warrantied them for 200K or 10 years takes a good bit of the sting out. I have never even seen a Turbo Volvo five speed, let alone driven one.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Test drive today: '99 and '01 V70 T5 (some questions)

SuperDuty,
I have a love hate relationship with my 2001 T5. I love the styling, acceleration and practicality. I hate the shift linkage, reliability and repair prices. I bought the car because it is the only car on the road that is a 5 speed, fun to drive and seats 7 (i've got the 3rd row for the kids). I don't notice torque steer as much as problems with traction. The fwd and stability control can make quick starts difficult. All the power overwhelms the front tires. At 60K miles, the clutch slave cylinder went bad and to replace it you have to take the transmission apart. So after $1400 for parts and labor I have a new slave cylinder. I've had several electrical problems, i'm pretty sure that the electrics will be the end of it. Sometimes the garage door opener or sunroof won't work. But the next time I drive it, they are fine. I had a short in the rear hatch where all the wires run to the license plate light and rear wiper. Caused the battery to drain and the car wouldn't start. The dealer wanted to replace the driver door module, but my local shop fixed it for 4 hours labor for about $400. Again the expense. So this may not be different than your Audi. And the front passenger window no longer goes down, and I've got a squeak in the steering wheel at parking lot speeds. But I still like the car because I can blow the doors off most other cars in suburbia, no one expects a Volvo to be that fast. You can seat 5 comfortably. And the seats are excellent too. I would recommend one, just go into it with the proper expectations. I hope to get the R model next, 6 speed with 300 hp. Watch out!