Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

turbo or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo or not?

I am getting ready to replace my radiator. I have a 2000 volvo V70 XC AWD. I didn't think it was a turbo engine so I ordered a radiator for a non turbo. Now I was looking for the engine number and found that it is a
B5244T. Now the car model doesn't indicate a turbo, but does this engine number mean it is a turbo? now I'm confused. And if it is a turbo, does it make a differance on the radiator? Please help!

Thanks

Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello, All XC's are turbo-charged. The model designation, therefore, does so indicate. The "T" means turbo. Since you were offered a choice between radiators for turbo equipped cars and non-turbo, it would appear that it does make a difference. I'd bet the radiator for a turbo-charged car would be of higher capacity. Read up on bevel gears, transmission flushing, brake fluid refreshment, PCV maintenance and oil changes. If you're not mechanically inclined-which is cool-address maintenance issues before it's too late for your car. There is a good bit to be aware of. You'll save money too. Kira

Old 06-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I see that these cars can be a money pit. This is my first volvo bought and so far I am not impressed with their reliability. I have and will be reviewing and refreshing fluids. Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I wouldn't call them money pits. They are 11, soon to be 12 years old. These cars can easily go 300,000 miles if properly maintained and 500,000 miles if well maintained. And the good thing about it is that they don't fall apart in the process. They still look pretty new and hold up well.

Any 12 year old car will need maintenance or fall apart. I believe these Volvos cost about $75 per month if you pay to have the work done. Do it yourself and you can save a bundle. Hang around here and you can learn how to do things yourself. Not much harder than changing a tire on a bicycle. On the other hand, if you are afraid to work on your own car, maybe you should get something newer with a warranty. Don't be afraid to work on your VOLVO, they are designed to be easy for the mechanic.

Last edited by rspi; 06-14-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 06-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello, rspi is right. You can see where I was coming from in my post. I was certain you were new to cars in general so I suggested a few items which always need to be looked at in any car. Instead of saying "read up" I should have said, "Go to this and other Volvo boards and use the SEARCH functions they offer." You can get a handle on many problems and fixes. Buy a code reader if you don't already own one. If Your "Check Engine Light" CEL, comes on you can plug in and read a code. There are websites which list the definitions of codes. What's really cool is that typing the code number into the search functions will ZAP you to any posts your fellow Volvo owners have made. I have a particular bugaboo in this vein. It's when people say, "Go to an auto parts store and have them read the code. They might even turn it off for you." It's cool to do that, of course, but I think it's horribly wasteful in time, gas and effort. For example: A code for an EVAP leak is always addressed by making sure the gas cap is tightened first thing. After you do that-and drive away from the auto parts store-a CEL might return-assuming the store will turn it off for you in the first place. Guess what?; you're going back to the parts store. If they didn't turn it off for you, you have even less info. Many employees in auto parts stores will go into a rap about incurring liabilities if they turn a CEL off. You don't need to go through that nonsense. ALSO: I've had the experience of the cheap code reader for customer use not having the capacity to communicate with a Volvo. Just get yourself a code reader and use it, help your friends with it. You read a code. You go online to interpret the code's meaning. You go to various Volvo boards, if necessary, to get a handle on what you need to do. Then you inspect your car like a civilized person and decide what you're going to do next regarding parts and tool gathering or seeking professional help. You're not sitting in a parking lot like a confused idiot having to plead with some bozo in a consumer level parts store for guidance. Another source of help for people is the Haynes manual for your car. While not perfect, it frequently serves to get you started on more difficult chores. You can do this. Kira

Old 06-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

1+ with Kira. I actually have 2 code readers. I use the cheap one most of the time. I think I got it from eBay which was shipped from China or somewhere. It works and saves me lots of time and money. Yes, I do carry it with me and yes I do help friends and strangers out with it.