Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

V70XC cross country fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post V70XC cross country fuel pump replacement

Hi guys, the fuel pump was leaking on the V70XC and I had to replace it. I had read on some forums that it was a big job, some guys quoting 8 hours labour. I decided to tackle the job myself and managed to do it in just under two hours including making a tool to remove the ring holding the pump in. If your interested heres how.

1. Disconnect battery
2. ensure tank is at minimum level.
2. Tilt the rear seat bases forward.
3. remove the padding at the side on the seat backs (between seat and door pillar) they come off with a tug.
4. under the removed padding you will find the 14mm bolt holding the side of the seat backrest, there is one on either side ( you have to unplug the airbag seat sensors to get to the bolts, orange plugs).
5. there are three more bolts on a black bracket between the two seat backs (two you can get from the rear of the backrest and one from infront/underneath)
6. remove the backrests. I didnt disconnect the seat belts I just moved the seats far enough to be able to access the carpet and covers.
7. Lift the sound proof carpeting out of the way
8. You will see two round black covers on each side of the floor. Remove the four nuts on each cover.
9. on the right hand side is the actual pump (right when sitting in drivers seat) disconnect the two fuel lines, cover them witha cloth as they are pressurised.
10. Now you have to make your tool, if you dont already have one.
11. I used two solid 10mm square bar 100mm long and welded a 30X3 mm flat bar between them leaving 30mm of square bar protruding up to enable leverage. determine the length of the flat bar on the vehicle. The tool looks like a letter "H"
12. use the tool to remove the ring holding the fuel pump in place.
13. also use the tool to remove the ring on the left side fuel level sensor
14. The wires from the fuel pump are attached to the fuel level sensor. Unplug them
15. Attach some string to the wires or pipe leading to the pump.
16. withdraw the pump pulling the string through with it.
17. disconnect the string which is now travelling from the left tank fuel sender hole to the right tank fuel pump hole and attach it to the new pumps pipe.
18. pull the new pipe and pump through.
19. reinstall everything in reverse order.

Hope this helps. Wilddog

Old 03-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Default 1999 x/c v70 awd fuel pump

I opted for the PRY TANK DOWN option 2 hours . Your Pump is on the passenger side of tank. New replacement OEM FCP Groton 400.00 gasket 23.00
Tips
the fuel connectors need to be pushed in then slightly lift up on plastic ring at bottom, if your lines are stuck PB blast them a few times/days before. Some people took a fork, removed the middle prong/s and bent the two ones left on the outside to allow you to push up on the lower plastic quick connect ring while still applying pressure down on gas line, thus disconnecting them. Lucky mine came right off. Also I could not remove the old power/connectors so just cut them and routed the new ones in a safe similar way. It looks like they route through a body channel I couldn't get at, so cut both ends on the old lines to make room/removal easier.
What ever you rig to push/pry the tank down be able to hold it in that position for removal and replacement, if you fought it coming out re-position so you don't damage the new one.
I lowered muffler where I could, removed plastic tank shield and tank strap bolt. Also stabilizer/control bar that is right up against tank( three short bolts and one long one in the round camber thus dropping only the front part of the arm that attaches to the frame right next to front of tank). seemed to work well, fired right up ") .
Used large channel locks with rag to remove pump holding plastic nut.
Put new gasket on before install, place it in/on the tank rim, much easier then on the pump .

Last edited by beoutside; 03-28-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by wilddog
Hope this helps. Wilddog
What year?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:18 PM

There are no access panels in the floor for XC70 from '98-'00. The original post is for 850 series. Access to XC70 fuel pumps is from under the car. 8 hours quote is for XC70 dropping tank, etc. 2 hour pry method minimizes what you loosen/remove for access.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:02 PM

Hi, I had my mechanic try this and the wire keeps getting stuck about half way taking it out. I went over and tried to heelp manipulate from both ends, but its still stuck. Any advise?
Kat

Old 08-20-2015, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by kcataldo
Hi, I had my mechanic try this and the wire keeps getting stuck about half way taking it out. I went over and tried to heelp manipulate from both ends, but its still stuck. Any advise?
Kat
It simply takes patience and an understanding of what is going on.

I seem to recall we took my cell phone an used it as a mirror and recording device to look at the small space the wire/tube feeds through to from the passenger to drivers side...once you see that and what it may hang on life will get easy.

Tank should be mostly empty.
Getting it back through/in was the more difficult part. The string idea is a must.

Tell him he's going to need a visual of whats going on inside and if he doesn't have a snake cam...then an iphone will do.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:45 AM

Thanks! Will try again today.

Old 02-20-2022, 04:18 AM

This is very helpful. I wish you added pictures to it.