Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Very Annoying Rear Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 02:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Annoying Rear Squeak

Hi,
New here after buying my first V70. A 2013 D4 SE LUX which is brilliant apart from an annoying squeak that started a couple of weeks after I took ownership.
At first I was almost certain the noise was coming from the rear seat back rest catches as it's an identical high pitched metal on metal chirping that I have had on other cars and that was the cause. So I greased the catches and latches with lithium grease but it made no difference. I removed the rear seat itself and made sure there was no metal to metal contact there. I've removed everything from the boot and still it squeaks.
Thing is it isn't consistent. You can drive all day and it won't squeak till you go over a bump. Then it starts and won't go away. I discovered one day it seemed to stop when I braked so I had new discs and pads fitted, which needed done anyway, thinking maybe the pads were jumping about over bumps. Still squeaks! I've run out of things to grease, including the hatch catch and hinges, doors...... and am now thinking it may be the strut mounts or something suspension related. Seems to be the rear near side and is definitely worse under load. I've had creaks in suspension before but not this high pitched chirping that sounds internal.

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated and sorry if this a known issue and has been discussed already somewhere.

Cheers

Last edited by gorbag; 07-26-2021 at 02:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-26-2021, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

I'd inspect the rear springs. its quite possible one of the springs broke off an end causing some metal on metal.

Old 10-25-2021, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gorbag
Hi,
New here after buying my first V70. A 2013 D4 SE LUX which is brilliant apart from an annoying squeak that started a couple of weeks after I took ownership.
At first I was almost certain the noise was coming from the rear seat back rest catches as it's an identical high pitched metal on metal chirping that I have had on other cars and that was the cause. So I greased the catches and latches with lithium grease but it made no difference. I removed the rear seat itself and made sure there was no metal to metal contact there. I've removed everything from the boot and still it squeaks.
Thing is it isn't consistent. You can drive all day and it won't squeak till you go over a bump. Then it starts and won't go away. I discovered one day it seemed to stop when I braked so I had new discs and pads fitted, which needed done anyway, thinking maybe the pads were jumping about over bumps. Still squeaks! I've run out of things to grease, including the hatch catch and hinges, doors...... and am now thinking it may be the strut mounts or something suspension related. Seems to be the rear near side and is definitely worse under load. I've had creaks in suspension before but not this high pitched chirping that sounds internal.

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated and sorry if this a known issue and has been discussed already somewhere.

Cheers
I have 2009 V70 which I really like. However, it has been making thumping sounds when I go over dips at intersections. I had the dealer replace the front struts and it still makes that noise. I hope it is not the motor mounts.

Old 10-25-2021, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

did the dealer inspect other suspension / chassis components while doing the struts. Could be the exhaust system (my first bet), motor mounts (does the sound change with/without power?), subframe bushings, sway bar bushings, control arm bushing (does the car feel like it goes in/out of alignment?) etc? Does it sound different turning left or right vs going straight? Have you looked around for anything else like the battery tie down?