Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

What is the resistance range for the MAF sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the resistance range for the MAF sensor?

Im getting a couple codes on my 98 V70, P0171 and P0442. Since there are a few things that can cause these Im trying to narrow my field. Correct me if Im wrong, but a P0171 could be fuel pressure, MAF sensor, Oxygen sensor, ignition problem (coils, plugs), and bad injector/s? P0442 could be any vacuum leak, but is likely the J hose? Id like to test the MAF sensor so I can rule that out. Does anyone have the proper readings that it is supposed to give when functioning normally? Which pins? I hope its not injectors... The car had been sitting for about a year when I picked it up. Already replaced the engine temp sensor and the thermostat(just because it is reccomended). At least it runs now... but rich or lean...? Im not driving it. Burning up some rings bc Im stupid is not what Im looking to do. Any assistance is appreciated.~Josh

In case you didnt notice, Im a newbie. Hi

Old 09-15-2011, 01:28 PM

Oh, Its a 2.0 AWD

Old 09-16-2011, 12:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From here:

P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean (Bank 1)
P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

I'm thinking the leak in the Evap system is your problem; i.e. evap valve stuck open causing vac leak.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the suggestion! Where is the evap valve located exactly? I found a post from Tech that said it was on the cooling fan and had 2 hoses going to it. Is he referring to the radiator fan?

Old 09-16-2011, 07:33 PM

Well I got to thinking.... The CEL came on after my friend ran it out of gas. Not his fault... The car had been sitting for a year and evidently the gas gauge got stuck at a quarter of a tank. And i remember thinking when I got gas "Hmmm this cap is pretty tight and its not clicking, mb it doesnt click". Well, it does. So I checked the gaskets on the cap(looked good) and tightened it well. Sewed up the intake which i had disassembled and disconnected the battery. Code P0442 disappeared but sadly the P0170 reappeared as I pulled into the office.

I realized that I look like a tool having stated that its a 2.0 awd. I meant to type 2.4 awd. My apologies.

Any ideas on the P0170? From my reading Ive gathered that if its the MAF or 02 sensor then OBDII would have likely thrown a specific code for each of them. If this is true, I know the car had a new fuel filter like 3k miles ago... which makes me wonder why it was replaced. The car have a new crossmember and radiator put in and other misc stuff, including the filter. Sooooo, Ive narrowed it to the fuel pump(seems odd that it came on as I was coming to a stop. If it were that Id expect it to be an issue when starting), the injectors, or plugs(assuming its rich, not lean). I have lucus fuel system cleaner in the tank and new plugs/air filter in the cabin. Can you guys tell me where the fuel pump is and mb how to access it? JIC. Ive got the stock denso from my SCupra that I might could use for testing(upgrade?)