Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2015 XC60 tailgate electronic lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2015 XC60 tailgate electronic lock issue

I have a 2015 XC60 T5 (Premier). We started having issue with unlocking the tailgate a few months ago.

Initially we noticed that it took a few squeezes on the button of the tailgate before there was a click and the lock opened. Over time it's got worse. Now, it takes nearly a minute of trying before it unlocks. There's a button to unlock the tailgate near the driver's side but clicking it too does not produce the click any longer. Sometimes it feels that starting the engine and clicking on any unlock all locks button on the driver's side a few times helps with unlocking the gate. So, because the issue is intermittent, I think the problem is not the button in the tailgate handle, not in the electronic lock component, but rather in wiring that could be damaged. I found a video and a technical bulletin suggesting to cut the ground wire leading to the tailgate and connect it directly, because VOLVO is not using the body as the ground, due to fiber components and instead is using a wire, which eventually burns the contacts in the connector. It sounds reasonable and I'm willing to give it a try but I'm struggling to open that cover to access the connectors.

Anyone had this issue or ever was able to pop the cover?

Here's a snippet from the Technical bulletin and the full PDF is attached as well. It is for a different model, but the problem sounds very similar.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
document-1.pdf (1.20 MB, 172 views)
Old 09-13-2023, 01:09 PM

Did you ever solve this? I have the same problem, and I'm also having trouble getting the ceiling trim off without breaking anything. And I don't know if the XC60 is going to be set up the same as that XC70. I also read somewhere about wiring problems beneath the front passenger seat having something to do with this...

Old 09-13-2023, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Springbard
Did you ever solve this? I have the same problem, and I'm also having trouble getting the ceiling trim off without breaking anything. And I don't know if the XC60 is going to be set up the same as that XC70. I also read somewhere about wiring problems beneath the front passenger seat having something to do with this...
Yes, ended up replacing the lock.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by volvo-tinker
Yes, ended up replacing the lock.
By lock do you mean the latch that keeps it closed or the handle with the micro switch? I just tried replacing the latch and it didn’t help. I might try the handle next…

Old 06-09-2024, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Springbard
By lock do you mean the latch that keeps it closed or the handle with the micro switch? I just tried replacing the latch and it didn’t help. I might try the handle next…
So, did you finally figure out your issue after replacing the latch? I'm looking at buying a used XC60 and the owner says it the tailgate won't open.
​​​​​​

Old 06-09-2024, 03:12 PM

Haven’t tried yet. Right now we mainly just load through the doors, and if we need to get something through the tailgate there’s a small hole in the latch so it can be opened from inside with a small screwdriver. I should probably try the microswitch and return it if it’s not that.