Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2018 XC60 Braking System

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 XC60 T5 Braking System

I purchased my Volvo in 2022. It was in perfect condition 1 owner, low mileage and clean report. I very quickly started to notice braking issues. My husband would say “why are you waiting until the last min to brake then slamming them?” I wasn’t but that’s definitely how it felt. I went in and customized the brake settings under the different drive modes and selected the most sensitive option. This helped some. Shortly after getting the car I needed rear brake pads and rotors. This year I needed front brake pads and rotors. They lasted 2,500 miles before the car started shaking when braking. I left the shop today confirmed I need rotor replacement again. I work from home and drive very little. I’ve never towed anything. The mechanic believes it’s a faulty brake system. Is there a reason they didn’t scan the braking system at my last service? You will see in the photo it says “not scanned”

When I got home I started to research and saw there was a recall for this issue but it started with 2019 and my car is a 2018. There’s no way this is a coincidence. This sucks so bad. Between terrible service at Tulsa OK Volvo and all the maintenance, I can’t justify keeping this even though, aesthetically, it’s my fav car :/

Other issues, unsure if newer models have this: taking the passenger door panel off to change a fuse is absurd.
Driver heated seat doesn’t work, not a fuse issue but a sensor. Several sensor issues.
Car will start shaking randomly while driving. It’s really bad and worsens when I brake. I have to pull over and turn the car off and back on. Volvo couldn’t find issue.
I have a lot of software complaints. I let them go bc I was so excited for the car and thought it wasn’t that big of a deal, but with the other issues it makes me more annoyed. It’s slow, after the car is in reverse it takes awhile for the screen to go back to normal and to be able to toggle to turn off automatic settings I don’t like (lane correction, auto start stop). Maybe it’s user error but I would love to turn off the auto braking/collision alert. It is SO sensitive (I turned sensitivity down) that it almost causes accidents vs preventing. Not to mention the alarms scare the crap out of me. I’ve had it detect cars in the lane next to me stopping and randomly brake. The sensors are very sensitive and go off when light hits them.
The only setting the car remembers is my seat position. Nothing else is stored. It’s very cold here and it always defaults to AC blowing at full speed. I’ve done a reset, repaired keys and can’t seem to fix.
I live 3 hours from the nearest Volvo so it’s a major PITA to have things looked at.

I do home warranty and I understand a car needs maintenance, but this car has exceeded any car I’ve ever owned in maintenance items. I had an Infiniti that I drove for 12 years, 156k miles, 1 brake and rotor replacement in its lifetime and never spent a dime on the car other than regular maintenance and key fob batteries. I’m actually thinking of trading for a 2023 Infiniti QX55.

Last edited by HD1017; 12-18-2023 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Additional documentation