Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2018 XC60 Touch Screen Freezes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 XC60 Touch Screen Freezes

I bought the 2018 XC60 Momentum T5 last November. I live in Southwest Florida, and the extremely hot and humid summer climate seems to affect the touch screen when I start the car after it’s been sitting outside of my office all day. As soon as I start the ignition, I attempt to crank up the AC and change the driving mode to my individual profile(since it default to Eco, hate that), and the screen just locks up for about 60 seconds. I was wondering if anybody else has experienced something similar who lives in a hot climate, or if there’s something wrong with my computer system?

Other than that inconvenience, I absolutely love the vehicle and have no other complaints.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:38 AM

Not seen any issues with the screen during a hot day (Austin TX here where we recently ended a 16-day, triple digit streak). How long does it remain locked up? Does it start working after it's cooled off a bit? Sounds like something Volvo will need to work out directly. Could be the heat is causing bad connection with the touch screen.

Also, as for the AC, there should not be much you need to do to get it to cool off. Once you set a temperature, the system will automatically do what it can to cool the cabin. Make sure you climate control is set to full automatic mode (press and hold the climate auto button for 3 seconds). That may help eliminate needing to make adjustments when you first get in your vehicle.

We also use the parking ventilation as well by activating it from our phone a few minutes before we arrive at our car. Great way to get rid of the excess heat and does not require the vehicle to be started.

There are options to change the default driving mode for your profile. Another thing you should not have to set when you get in your vehicle every time.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:51 AM

For the first minute or so after sitting a long time mine is "slow and unresponsive" as it boots up.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by herothedog
For the first minute or so after sitting a long time mine is "slow and unresponsive" as it boots up.
Now THAT we do see daily. It seems Senus is overloaded while starting up the navigation system and other modules for about a minute when first started. Doubt there is much that can be done there without a software fix. Do automate as much as you can, though, through other options to help eliminate the need to do much at engine start, or just wait for Sensus to catch up.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:32 PM

Hi thanks for the feedback. Yes, it always works fine after booting up, but the sluggish response w touch screen is exclusive to hot afternoons when the temperature reads over 100 degrees, so it might just be a limitation of the hardware in extremes of temperature.

good idea re: remote start option, I always thought that would be useful in ice cold temperatures but it’s worth a shot to see if it eliminates the delay once I get into the car.

how do you change the default driving mode? I created an individual driving profile but i couldn’t find a way to set it as the new default. I seem to remember something in the owner manual stating that it always defaults to Eco, but I could be mistaken.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by joemorris
Now THAT we do see daily. It seems Senus is overloaded while starting up the navigation system and other modules for about a minute when first started. Doubt there is much that can be done there without a software fix
I would contend that it really requires faster hardware with more memory. Only so much you can do with just software fixes.

You can't change the default startup mode.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:24 AM

You can change the default startup mode. You need to get into the car settings (My Car?) and you'll have options there. You can choose any mode EXCEPT Individual. In individual is where we configure it to not auto stop. You can't set this in any other mode. So, the process is to select the driving mode using the smaller roller controller (best name I can think of early this morning) and select Individual. That, at least, eliminates have to use the main touch screen for Sensus.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:52 AM

Oh yeah, that’s what I’m already doing...rolling to individual drive mode (where I deselected the eco setting) each time I start the engine. It’s a pain in the butt however it’s become a habit for me right now. I do hope that they upgrade the software in the future to allow the individual mode as a default option. Still, that even locks up when the temperature is extreme when I use the roller

I’m due for my first service appointment next month so I’ll see if they have any suggestions or if this is just a limitation of a Swedish car design when driven in the subtropics

Last edited by doxielov; 09-08-2018 at 09:11 AM.