Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Catastrophic meltdown - all lights on dash on, but completely dead

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catastrophic meltdown - all lights on dash on, but completely dead

Twice in the last month I have had the following problem on my 2011 XC60; I've owned it for 2 years. First start of the day after sitting all night, no problem. After driving for only 1-2 minutes, all lights on the dashboard illuminate. All function is lost (brakes, power steering, accel). Pull over and all lights remain illuminated but the car is completely dead. The FOB will not release. The hatch will not open. The doors will not lock or unlock and obviously starting is out of the question. The lights slowly fade and it's completely dark. It happened at night so the darkness was profound. The first time this happened I was able to boost the vehicle. It worked as if nothing had happened. Took it to a shop that ran a few tests; no fault found. Battery tested fine. This was March 2023. We drove it daily without incident, and even went on a cross-continental trip with now problem. Until today, 4 May 2023. Same thing happened except a boost was unsuccessful. It required towing to the nearest shop.

Naturally the shop wants to replace the battery. But this kind of catastrophic fail leads me to believe it is a short of some kind, which I imagine would be near impossible to find and would involve a wallet rape (I first heard this term on this website from a while-back). Any suggestions? I don't know why the pictures are so big. They were taken today (4 May).

Old 05-05-2023, 11:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The early years XC60s where recalled due to crappy windshield adhesive, water would get in the car, drip on electronics and ****s everything.
Did you had your windshield replaced? are you aware of that problem?
There's a few here in the forum with similar electrical issues that make no sense, all early models, probably all got the same story, water on modules.

What shop are you going to?
This needs an expert diagnostic guy to find the faulty modules
The dealership should have the knowledge but won't be cheap. maybe just ask for diagnostic by them, then replace/fix yourself or somewhere else cheaper

Old 05-11-2023, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did see the other posts but I wouldn't have thought this to be related. But it makes sense. Only owned it for 2 years so I don't know if the windsheild was replaced. I had the battery and alternator replaced. Those are easy fixes and relatively inexpensive but this is our second Volvo with electrical quirks. I think we'll sell and get something reliable. I don't have the patience to drive this thing wondering when the next time it will turn itself off will be.

Thanks for the reply.