Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Most economic replacement of tire pressure sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most economic replacement of tire pressure sensors?

My wife called from the road with a flat tire on her 2010 XC-60. AAA determined it was a bad pressure sensor (wobbling in the wheel!). The flat was almost catostrophic in how quickly the tire went flat. Fortunately it was the right rear, not a front tire. On inspection, all of them were badly corroded. Do these have to be replaced by the dealer, or can a local tire center replace them without special tools? Part number? tx.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

Sorry nobody replied to you... it may be a bit late but the tire pressure sensors can be replaced with generic parts. The only consideration is that there are different frequencies used by the transmitter, so you just need to source the part that matches what Volvo uses. With that said, if your problem is corrosion, you can try replacing just the stem and not the whole TPMS unit. The stem has a small screw to hold it into the sensor/transmitter. Most tire places can order/install but if you want to save some $$, I'd simply do a search on Ebay Motors for "Volvo TPMS" or shop a Volvo parts place like eEuroparts or FCPEuro for either the sensors or the stems and have your tire shop install. Good idea to inspect/replace stems when installing new tires just the same even if the monitors are performing well.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tpms

Originally Posted by mt6127
Sorry nobody replied to you... it may be a bit late but the tire pressure sensors can be replaced with generic parts. The only consideration is that there are different frequencies used by the transmitter, so you just need to source the part that matches what Volvo uses. With that said, if your problem is corrosion, you can try replacing just the stem and not the whole TPMS unit. The stem has a small screw to hold it into the sensor/transmitter. Most tire places can order/install but if you want to save some $$, I'd simply do a search on Ebay Motors for "Volvo TPMS" or shop a Volvo parts place like eEuroparts or FCPEuro for either the sensors or the stems and have your tire shop install. Good idea to inspect/replace stems when installing new tires just the same even if the monitors are performing well.
thx for reply. I did find stems that fit the sensors on-line after doing some research worked out ok. sensors are still good. unfortunately, the nuts that secure them to the wheel are still alloy and subject to corrosion. There is a gap for salt and crud to build up in the nut before the threads start so next winter I will spray grease around the nuts and keep my fingers crossed. thx again.