Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

New to Volvo

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 07:19 PM
loc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Volvo

Currently have a 2016 BMW X3. Looking for something different even though I like the X3. Considering XC60 in Thunder Gray Or Denium Bkue with the brown interior that they call Marroon and in dark. Seems like XC has more room in Cockpit and backseat. Power seems the same in t5. I dislike the touch screen vs the BMW. Cannot believe you cannot get all black wheels with the dark package.

any pros or cons?

also considering glc300 and genesis gv70.

Last edited by loc; 04-14-2023 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2023, 06:43 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought an XC60.
- Platinum Gray (a very dark color)
- Dark mode (I don't like all that shiny chrome)
- B5 mild hybrid with Polestar tuning (I suspect that Polestar stuff wasn't worth the cost)

Learning to use all the features is like learning a new operating system on your computer. The complexity is one of the complaints you will hear about today's Volvo. It is all true but worth the effort. Be sure to have the salesman give you a really good initial run through. Get your phone connected, and if you have a spouse get that phone connected as well. Learn about how the two keys can identify two different drivers and all personalized settings will be set/activated depending on which key was used to enter the driver's door. Make friends with your salesman as you will probably need to call for advice and help.

I found the lane-keeping and steering assist distracting at first so you might want to disable those for the first day of familiarization.

Old 04-15-2023, 11:06 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

If you’re looking at a mild-hybrid, you will need one of these as well > CTEK MXS 5.0 < in order to mitigate the dead car syndrome risk.

My XC60 B5 is plugged in all the time as it’s all part of the new Volvo experience.

I jokingly call it my B5-EV !

Old 04-15-2023, 11:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default why CTEK MXS 5.0 ?

Originally Posted by Zeta2
If you’re looking at a mild-hybrid, you will need one of these as well > CTEK MXS 5.0 < in order to mitigate the dead car syndrome risk.

My XC60 B5 is plugged in all the time as it’s all part of the new Volvo experience.

I jokingly call it my B5-EV !
What is unique about Volvo, the XC60, or mild hybrid that causes the need for that very fancy battery charger? I see it is a 12 volt charger and the "mild hybrid" aspect of the car is a 48 volt battery, so your comment confuses me.

Old 04-16-2023, 02:45 AM

Sadly, the dead car issue is affecting a good number of people, with Volvo having no definitive reason as to why. There are some ideas such as TCAM weather seals, software bugs, alternator, databus between the 12v and 48v batteries…

My car was with the dealer for almost a month after it was found dead on my driveway. The dealer was at a complete loss as to what was causing the fault with the only conclusion being to recharge the TCAM battery and replace the 12v battery as it was impacted by the drain down fault. The dealer tried their best, but Volvo UK was completely unhelpful to the point of being belligerent as they refused to cover the battery under warranty. It was only after I implied, I may take legal action, that Volvo UK saw sense and covered the 12v battery under warranty as a good will gesture.

Volvo UK then made quite an aggressive statement saying that I have not been using the car properly based on their recommendation of driving the car for at least 15 minutes a week or use a trickle charger. This statement is written in the user manual as a ‘recommendation’, but Volvo UK was using it as a weapon to threaten me with, to avoid any future warranty claims. A word of warning, Volvo HQ has the ability to view the detailed telemetries of the car – a dealer cannot access this, so will know if you have complied with the recommendation or not. The dealer suggested to just get a trickle charger to make my life easier and told me that those of us with company cars have done the same!

Regards the 48v battery, it is only the 12v battery and the TCAM battery that are affected by the drain down issue.

To date, I have not heard any news from Volvo that they have now definitively found the cause of the dead car issue.

Old 04-16-2023, 04:30 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by loc
any pros or cons?
Plenty of threads on here detailing this question.
Biggest downside is the "lack of trust" many of us XC60 '22 owners have developed from the software being unreliable and leading to problems like the 'dead battery' syndrome. Although, as I detailed in another thread, on v2.5.2 with several features disabled, the problem has gone away for me.

Still love the look of the XC60 and the comfort of the seats though. If it wasn't for the chip shortage and the difficulty getting another similar vehicle, I would have already gotten rid of it.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:11 PM
Received 588 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by loc
Currently have a 2016 BMW X3.
Looking for something different even though I like the X3.
Considering XC60
dislike the touch screen vs the BMW. also glc300
genesis gv70.
We own a 22 gv70 3.5 (with all options, making it ~65k) and
Just turned in our (leased) 2020 xc60t6 with all options (~65k) for a (leased) 2023 xc60 b6 most options (~65K)
Considered glc amg43, sq5 audi, macan, x3M40, etc. Chose gv70 3.5t for myself (I like v6 power) and had more features for the money (even though it is a Hyundai!)

Wife drives the xc60 daily and we drive it on trips. The 2023 B6 has plenty of power - It is Scandinavian minimal in design. Great seats, comfortable ride, really can't say anything bad. (having worked on them for 45 years) I think Volvos are a well engineered car. - But coming from my last real car - a 2005 M3 I miss engine sounds. So I just turn the radio up in the Volvo and forget the 4 cyl sounds. The gv70 can add them electronically - but with 375 hp/391 tq it's not really needed!

Edit - forgot about the stop start system on the XC60. There's no way to turn it off on the 2023 unless you have polestar installed. Then two menu choices on the screen. However the new B5-6 stop start system uses a belt driven "starter generator" and you really don't feel, hear or even notice when the engine starts back up since a normal starter is not used. But there's no delay - Wonder what will happen if/when the serpentine belt breaks? (the car won't start!) -

Last edited by hoonk; 04-17-2023 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:57 AM

Just to balance things out a bit, the XC60 (when its behaving itself) is a lovely car to drive and soaks up the miles. When it’s good, it's very good, but when it's bad, it's bad. A bit of a love hate relationship.

After the dead car event, I also had a look around at other brands, thinking to move the XC60 on and sell it. However here in the UK trying to purchase a new petrol car is becoming very difficult as some UK car dealers have cut the available petrol options big time and the last build slots are being aggressively fought over by dealers, with zero discounting. This is obviously the result of the UK gov standing by its decision to ban all new petrol and diesel car sales by 2030. In the end I had to just walk away from the idea of buying a new replacement for the XC60.

Not sure how this green extreme doctrine is happening in the US, but my advice would be to get ordering now if you want a new petrol or diesel car.

The following users liked this post:
Gallego (04-17-2023)