Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

turbo noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo noise

I want to make my turbo a little bit louder and I've been told that air intake can make it louder but there is no aftermarket air intake that i can find to fit a 2010 XC60 t6, but I have also seen that people don't recommend aftermarket air intake what do you guys recommend for louder turbo noises?

Old 10-11-2021, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

A few ideas 1) Drive with the windows open 2) search the internet for MP3s of turbo noises and play back through your stereo 3) remove the underhood insulation (hopefully this doesn't boil off the clear coat )

Old 10-11-2021, 09:07 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Beastbxss
I want to make my turbo a little bit louder
Got it! You are 18! Buy a ricer car and rice it out, don't waste your time on a VOLVO! What dude drives a VOLVO - that's what soccer moms drive - Get real dude! Where's your Honda with sidepipes and green/blue underbody lights, aftermarket LEDs everywhere that don't work quite right, Headlamps that blind everyone (but they sure look cool), a giant intercooler hanging off the front even if it's fake, and splayed out wheels with a lowered suspension! Do it! Spend every paycheck on it! ( who cares about other stuff, right?)

Or, If you want to make your turbo louder, jam a bolt or screwdriver in it and bend some fins, it will sound really cool self destructing!

I have been there and done that, and spent more than could ever be reasonable trying to make many cars faster, cooler, noisier or whatever I KNEW was the right thing to do at the moment. Then I bought a Porsche. Then a M5, Then a M3, then back to volvos with tunes, and polestar (for the carrying capacity) - Don't waste your time and money trying to make a Volvo something it's not, it stills looks like a VOLVO on the outside. (I'm guessing this is actually not your car or it's something your family gave you because they wanted you in a safe car) Please appreciate that they are trying to keep you alive during this crazy time that boys/men go thru.

Last edited by hoonk; 10-11-2021 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=hoonk;503427]Got it! You are 18! Buy a ricer car and rice it out, don't waste your time on a VOLVO! What dude drives a VOLVO - that's what soccer moms drive - Get real dude! Where's your Honda with sidepipes

the thing is is that this is my 3rd and nicest car and I like it I’m gonna have it for probably another 4 years and why not do to it what I want? I like how I can beat durangos and keep up with mustangs and beat the older models because people don’t expect it out of an suv. I just can’t find much for 2010 XC60’s and are looking for some ideas from other Volvo lovers

Old 10-12-2021, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

louder is not faster. Now if you want to add HP to your ride, that's a whole different approach. The basics for adding HP are getting more air into the engine and allowing the air to get out of the engine faster. Along the way you need to make sure your fuel system can keep up and you can manage all the extra heat those extra ponies will create (or you'd terminate your engine's reliability so to speak).

So how to add HP? 1) start with a turbo engine. The boost produced by the turbo is controlled by the ECU and components like the boost control valve etc. Fastest way to get more HP is to buy an ECU "tune" which reprograms the computer to allow the turbo to add more boost, enrich the injector mix, advance the spark more. A stage 1 tune is probably worth 40 HP and won't stress the car too much, provided you only feed it 93 octane. 2) next step is to get the air out of the engine faster. Several options here a) a bigger down pipe from the turbo, free flow cats to pass more air volume, free flow exhaust. That sound other than the cool burble of the exhaust is the sound of money leaving your wallet. An ECU tune can cost $500, just the downpipe will be another $500 (on a T5, double that for the T6) cats and exhaust may cost you another $2000. 3) now you need to deal with the added heat. This is where tuners add a bigger intercooler and may even add a bigger oil cooler etc. If you run stage 2 boost levels, you may also need larger capacity injectors and better than stock coils so here's another $2000. At this point you may find the turbo is undersized and reaches its maxium pumping capacity. Volvos use Mitsubishi TD04 turbos so you can find upgrades (the number following the TD04 ie 13T, 15G, 16T refer to the turbo's pumping capacity. So you may need to rebuild or replace the turbo to get more air pumping capacity. If your car has a 13T, that's considered a low pressure model, HP models typically have a 16T or even an 18T. Upgrading to a bigger turbo is another $1000 depending on who and how the work is done. Now that you're probably in the 300-400+ HP range, you need to consider whether your transmission can handle the HP. Last is with all that go, you still need to stop, turn etc. Lots of unknowns here - mostly these problems are solved by tuners who package matched components in "stage" kits. You can research their advise and packaging, particularly around what the drivetrain can handle, recommendations for upgrading brakes etc. Personally I'd stop after adding a stage 1 ECU tune for the extra 40 HP and any kit recommended add ons.