Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Buying a Used XC70

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Used XC70

Hi There

thanks for the resources on this site. I have searched the site (quickly - at work) but have not been able to get my question answered completely.

I am looking at buying a 2001 XC70 with 140, 000km on the clock for what seems to me to be a bargain - R90, 000. Seems in excellent condition, and have looked at it closely, but am concerned with the amount of problems that these volvos seem to have. the box works smoothly enough (have not taken it for a drive yet) and it appears well looked after, but any pointers that anybody out there could give me would be mightily appreciated.

Chris

Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 PM
hal

I did exactly what you want to do 3 years ago. If I were you i would go to a Volvo dealer to have it inspected with a special check on the transmission. If the previous owner could give you all he had done on it you would be blessed.
I'm not the one who preach the most for the dealer but it could save you a lot of expensive problems. These cars can be pretty reliable if you do all your maintenances etc. The less you go to the garage with these cars the more $$ in your pocket.
Search forums a lot for infos and if you can do some mechanic yourself it's better. But have it well inspected
If it can reassure you, I still have my car, I bought it with 116000kms on it and i like it like i never liked a car. I do almost all my mechanic myself. I had to go to the dealer only once in 3 years and it was for an update on the tranny software and a turbo sensor. I did some work on it like i would have done on any other car.
For me this car is almost perfect, I love it and I'm planning to keep it a long time.
Good luck

Old 01-18-2010, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the feedback Hal. I have had a good look at it and our Automobile Association did too, and vetted it all clean. I drove it and the box felt fine, and then when I asked for the guarantee to be spelt out for me, nobody was prepared to tell me whether a new gearbox was covered by the warranty. Long story short, whilst I felt happy to take the car (really great comfy car) I was not prepared to be left without a parachute, which the insurer was not willing to provide, so have left this one for the now. Still looking, but am too worried about the 2001 year (your points aside) to take this one withour some sort of warranty on the box.

Anyway, thanks again, great help.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:54 PM
hal

You're Welcome. I still think that 2001 XC's are great cars but when the previous owners did every thing from the maintenance list (that is very very very rare) Good luck in your research. And if you don't do mechanics by yourself, think of buying an earlier model with warranty left. The difference in $$ will worth it.