Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

CCM probably blown question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:28 PM
hal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy climate control module swap possible?

I probably blown my ccm by removing it while powered on .
If i swap it with another working module will it work?
Of course i will do the swap while there is no power and after the procedure of disconnecting the battery ten minutes after engine off (This time)
I tought of putting a used but good module instead of mine. i know it won't erase the airbag code i got but at least i could be good to use my car if ok!
Thank's for any help

Last edited by hal; 02-07-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:58 AM
hal
Red face

any help appreciated

Old 02-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry you cannot install a used one it needs to be programmed to the car. Once programmed to one car it cannot be programmed to another one.

Sorry to say but you will have to go new.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:26 AM
hal

Are you saying that if a put a used one instead it will be as dead as mine?

Old 02-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Most likely yes. Or the lights may work but the controls might not.

The setup is a very poor design. At work they just did an ignition lock assembly on a car had nothing to do with the climate module and when they connected the battery the module was dead. They are way to touchy. There is some kind of fault in the design that cannot handle the little voltage spike from unhooking the battery and connecting it at times.

I really want to get my hands on a bad one and open it up and see what goes bad.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:34 PM
hal
Unhappy

If you want i'll send you mine!!! And the whole car with it !!!!
This one is way out. Just by disconnecting a plug i'm $1000 or maybe more in the hole. I wanted to buy another car of the same year as a donnor and i won't even be able for this problem.
I take great care of my cars. For my XC very lately, i changed brake fluid, tranny fluid, 2 front shocks, 4 rotors and pads, spark plugs, gas filter, all the bushings for front control arms, tie rod ends, i was going to change front wheel bearings monday.
I love that car but this one is a bit big.
Thank you very much tech, even if you don't bring good news you helped me much.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Worse case if you can afford to spend a little more stop by the Dealer and play stupid and say that you had to install a new battery and ever since the climate module doesn't work and you would like it checked out.

Maybe something new has come up that I do not know about. But for them to check it they would charge 1 hour labor.

You never know maybe they have come up with something and it will magically work.

Eventually I will get to the bottom of what is exactly happening to these modules.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:14 PM
hal

I tought of sending it to volvo, i know that there is a tiny chance that it will be reprogrammable. But and there is a big but! i'm over 100 miles away from the dealer and my heating system is dead and we freeze our asses here these days. So it's out of the question to drive it all the way there.
I could also check with my auto club to send it and it would cost me nothing but if Volvo tells me that it's useless i'll probably have to pay 2 hours of trying and my car will stay 100 miles away. And the only solution will be to $$$$$ the full price plus labor again etc.
Jeee i have a headache
It's an Advil weekend believe me!!!!
After i changed the wheel bearings i was planning to find another problem i have with my car, loss of power at a precise rpm for each gear while climbing, i still did'nt know how much i would have to spend cause still not identified and i know that my rear and middle muffler are at the end (more$$$$) and now this badluck, You understand?
I was planning to own a car like that by doing my mechanic myself but it's way out of what i tought, IT'S AN UNSTOPPABLE MONEY PIT. What will it be after that? Volvo is working at $122 per hour (cdn)
I spotted a 2004 XC90 still under warranty till oct 2010, i think i'll exchange my 2005 smart fortwo and pay for the difference. I will still own a silent money pit but at least i'll be ok for almost 2 years.
I could keep the XC70 for some spare parts (ashtray etc) for the Xc90(lol) when the warranty of the 90 will be over i get rid of it and buy another xc70 for parts or take mine for parts, at that time many will be available for cheap.
I don't know what to do anymore.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Sorry so many problems.
I wish there was more I could to do help.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:07 PM
hal

Don't be sorry tech and many thank's again and if ever i have one burnt ccm too much, i promise to send it to you. If ever someone could do something more to save money on our money pits, i think it will be wellcome.
Thank's again

Old 02-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Your welcome I do what I can to help everyone.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:58 PM
hal
Talking

Here is the result I sent my XC to the dealer and they have been able to reprogram it. While it was there i asked for an upgrade for the tranny and to disable the darn neutral control function. They did it and JEEEE it shifts well!!!!!!!! I also asked to take out every code and they found one about the turbo pressure sensor or something like that and they changed it. All of this for $300 cdn. And no more loss or weak power. The tranny is ok . I'm into paradise, everything is fine
I have my car back.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Glad all is fine now!!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:08 AM

That sounds like an honest dealer. Where did you go?

Jim

Old 05-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Default Dead CCM?

I have a 2002 XC70. My wife got an error message for a loose fuel filler cap, soon followed by a check engine light. The cap seemed fine so I tried to clear the check engine light by disconnecting the negative battery terminal. After reconnecting, the check engine light was off but the climate control panel was dead (no lights at all including the gear shift indicator). OBDII code of 1A55-Communication with the climate control module (CCM). Signal missing. Tried to reset by connecting battery cables for a few minutes but no luck. Took it to Volvo dealer to get ECC software reinstalled. Dealer said it didn't work and said I need a new CCM ($1000). They said they could get the blower motor to work by fiddling with the connector but said it would stop once he let go of connector. I'm worried that the dealer is just trying to sell me a $1000 repair. Does this sound like the CCM is shot? Hard to believe this could happen from just disconnecting battery terminal. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:13 PM
hal

I heard that it could happen to blow the ccm like that. In my case I really ran after it when I disconnected the ccm with key ON to move the shift lever. If it were me, I would try to go to another dealer without saying anything about the previous work.
Good luck