Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Leaking Windshield Wiper Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Windshield Wiper Fluid

On a 2008 Volvo XC70, the windshield wiper fluid constantly leaks. It was "serviced" 3 times in an effort to resolve the issue but it keeps recurring. At first I thought the dealer was scamming and not really fixing the problem. But now I'm not so sure. I will try a different dealer to see if that works.

Maybe someone else has had a similar problem?

Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a well known problem with Volvo wagons since at least the mid 1990's. The dealer will need to replace the was fluid reservoir to fix it as it is a manufacturing problem. The reservoir comes in 2 parts. There used to be a gasket between the parts that sealed them and held them together. For some reason Volvo shose to delete the gasket in the newer parts. If they do not fit together correctly you get the leak. My 1997 960 leaked when new. My 2008 xc70 leaked when new also. Both times the fix was to get a new reservoir.

On you 2008 have them also fix the high pressure washer hoses to the headlamp washers. Their is a service bulletin on this and they will leak eventually otherwise.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 PM

Many thanks! My 2008 XC70 just visited the dealer who said I overfilled the reservoir. Of course this was after losing two gallons of washer fluid. Great to know what the real fix is going to be!

Old 06-17-2015, 03:24 PM
Default Washer leak

Hi, I just spent a couple hours looking for washer repair solutions on the net forums and another 25 minutes fixing my problem.
I ran the washers yesterday and immediately lost all the fluid in the reservoir.
I read where you need to remove the bumper, or the grill, or something else.
My 2008 xc70: Jack up the right side of the car enough to get under the front easily. Turn the wheels to the left. Unscrew the front lower torx head screw securing the bottom front part of the wheel house. Unscrew the lower torx screw holding the corner of the plastic guard that runs across the front of the car.
Now if you pull the wheelhouse back and the guard down you can see where the tubing connects to the tank, and rubs on the wheelhouse.
The tube is accessible easily. I cut the damage off the end and put on a piece of Gates 27043 vacuum tube. Looks like 1/4 inch id.
I used some gorilla glue just because I had it and didn't want to do this again soon.
The tank side is ****** and I pushed the other side onto the ****** fitting. Reassembled and filled.....ok
If this isn't clear, I did take some pictures that I might be able to post.
Everything to do with the washer and pump looks accessible from this vantage point.

Old 10-26-2019, 04:08 PM
Default 2011 model year XC70

Originally Posted by blurat
Hi, I just spent a couple hours looking for washer repair solutions on the net forums and another 25 minutes fixing my problem.
I ran the washers yesterday and immediately lost all the fluid in the reservoir.
I read where you need to remove the bumper, or the grill, or something else.
My 2008 xc70: Jack up the right side of the car enough to get under the front easily. Turn the wheels to the left. Unscrew the front lower torx head screw securing the bottom front part of the wheel house. Unscrew the lower torx screw holding the corner of the plastic guard that runs across the front of the car.
Now if you pull the wheelhouse back and the guard down you can see where the tubing connects to the tank, and rubs on the wheelhouse.
The tube is accessible easily. I cut the damage off the end and put on a piece of Gates 27043 vacuum tube. Looks like 1/4 inch id.
I used some gorilla glue just because I had it and didn't want to do this again soon.
The tank side is ****** and I pushed the other side onto the ****** fitting. Reassembled and filled.....ok
If this isn't clear, I did take some pictures that I might be able to post.
Everything to do with the washer and pump looks accessible from this vantage point.
THANK YOU for your excellent post. I had a similar issue with my 2011 XC70. Please note that for this model, you should jack up the LEFT side and then follow the steps as mentioned above.