Talk me into...or out of... an 03 XC70 - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:00 PM

Default Talk me into...or out of... an 03 XC70

I have no idea why I have become enamored of the Volvo XC70, but now I think I want one. One in particular that I have an eye on is an '03 with around 150k mi. I can do all maintenance, some repairs, but I'm leery of buying a brand I've never owned and don't really know that much about. In addition, the nearest dealer is probably 110 miles away.

Is this a normally reliable vehicle? And without a nearby dealer, is it possible to diagnose problems and repair in the ole home garage, or are you dependent upon the dealer? Can I expect to get 225k out of this vehicle without major problems?

I'm open to either side of this debate. If I need to give up the idea, I will. If I get some encouragement, I might just give it a go!!
Old 09-02-2016, 10:48 PM

It would be the acme of foolishness to set about such a thing without planning to get a volvo scan tool that can talk to all the computers on the car. If you do that I think you'll be fine. They're needy, but as long as you do all repairs yourself, I think they're okay. There are some unique problems with the AWD system according to google, but apparently the expensive ones are not a must-fix situation.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:10 AM

Well, I posted this almost a year ago, and as it happens, I found a Saab that I took a chance on. I'm not entirely dissatisfied with that purchase, but I seem to gravitate back to my original notion of a Volvo. I'd like to find an early '00s XC70 or V70, but may be open to a S60 or S80. I read a lot about timing belts on this forum and other sites. Is the I-5 an interference engine? Aside from the timing belt, are there any other notorious problems (turbo failures, ECU problems, etc.) that I should be aware of?
Old 08-20-2017, 10:55 AM

They are interference engines.

The turbo are very reliable if they have been properly maintained. But if the previous owner didn't change the oil enough, you coul have turbo problems or PCV issues.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES6T View Post
They are interference engines.

The turbo are very reliable if they have been properly maintained. But if the previous owner didn't change the oil enough, you coul have turbo problems or PCV issues.
Hi. What does properly maintained mean on a turbo?

As to interference engines - An interference engine is one that has insufficient clearance between the valves and pistons if the cam stops turning due to a broken timing belt. The result is usually catastrophic engine failure. Not so with a non-interference engine.

Last edited by Voldog; 10-11-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt snapper View Post
I have no idea why I have become enamored of the Volvo XC70, but now I think I want one. One in particular that I have an eye on is an '03 with around 150k mi. I can do all maintenance, some repairs, but I'm leery of buying a brand I've never owned and don't really know that much about. In addition, the nearest dealer is probably 110 miles away.

Is this a normally reliable vehicle? And without a nearby dealer, is it possible to diagnose problems and repair in the ole home garage, or are you dependent upon the dealer? Can I expect to get 225k out of this vehicle without major problems?

I'm open to either side of this debate. If I need to give up the idea, I will. If I get some encouragement, I might just give it a go!!
I posted my observations of my new to me 04 XC70 on another forum.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ations-on-XC70

Last edited by Voldog; 10-11-2017 at 08:13 AM.