Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Timing Issue - pulley wheel orientation on exhaust cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Issue - pulley wheel orientation on exhaust cam

2000 v70xc

Im doing a head gasket job on my brand new used v70xc.

This has turned out to be quite the adventure. Im getting ready to put the new head on (the old was warped past reasonable re-use) and ran into a little speed bump. I didnt mark up the exhaust cam/pulley to be able to time the engine appropriately. I set it on the work bench in a way I was supposed to remember but... yeah haha lesson learned i guess.

The pulley wheel can be bolted to the exhaust cam in 3 different orientations. There is a tick mark on the pulley wheel assigned for correct timing but I'm not sure what orientation to bolt it to the cam again. There is also an "M" impression on the pulley wheel. The picture below describes the end of cam shape with the nearest cam lobe shown. Between which bolts should the tick mark or "M" impression be (A,B,C)??

Name:  exhaustcam.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  22.9 KB

If anyone out there knows this off the top of their head or knows where to find out your help is much appreciated!

Thank you

Old 07-07-2010, 03:04 PM

well, i figured out how to bolt the pulley gear back on in the correct orientation. By looking at the distributor end of the cam, if the 2 notches are horizontal with the larger portions of them facing down, the tick mark on the pulley gear should be at the very top.

Name:  orientation.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  22.8 KB

Thanks to anyone out there that was looking into this... at least the answer is posted here if any other newb out there walks down the same path.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:56 AM

Ok, I should mention that with the VVT pulley on the exhaust cam the pulley is able to move from the cam clockwise under a type of "spring". At rest, the tick mark shown above should be about 2 gear cogs in the counter-clockwise direction. With the spring completely "loaded" the orientation of the markings should reflect the sketch above. At least this is my understanding of everything so far.

right now im still putting together everything after replacing a cylinder head. I will be trying to put together a decent how-to from the pictures ive been taking and obstacles i ran into along the way

Last edited by jpcameron; 07-14-2010 at 09:59 AM.