Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Yet another 01 V70 tranny casualty

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another 01 V70 tranny casualty

My 01 V70 2.4T has finally stopped moving. Replacing the failed unit with a salvage unit. I want a direct bolt on replacement, so does this mean I have to get one from a 01 v70 2.4t only or will other models(such as s60) also work?

Also, what should I do to the 'new' unit as prevention or updating prior to or after install?

Thanks for your help
Sean

Old 02-02-2012, 08:57 PM

There is a NEW 2001 transmission for sale on Detroit Metro Craigslist for $1500. I called and guy owns shipping company. Trans was "tipped over" as he put it, breaking bands on pallet. He says no damage. Customer would not accept it so insurance company bought new replacement and now he is stuck with it. Could be a steal for one of you guys out there if no damage.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 AM

Decided that the expense to replace the AW55 with the same junk is not worth it. Going with a 5spd manual swap. Question: Which manual tranny(s) will work in my '01 V70 2.4T?
I've seen swaps done using the M56 - is this the only option. I have no knowledge of what transmission was in each of the various models at any particular year. Could someone please advise as to which car model/year etc I should look for? Seems logical that a manual from an '01 S70, C70 or V70 would work but I don't know for sure.

Sean

Old 02-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roosterize
Decided that the expense to replace the AW55 with the same junk is not worth it. Going with a 5spd manual swap. Question: Which manual tranny(s) will work in my '01 V70 2.4T?
I've seen swaps done using the M56 - is this the only option. I have no knowledge of what transmission was in each of the various models at any particular year. Could someone please advise as to which car model/year etc I should look for? Seems logical that a manual from an '01 S70, C70 or V70 would work but I don't know for sure.

Sean
Same junk? Didn't you get 11 years and 100k+ miles out of the original? Not sure how hard it is to swap a manual for an auto in your Volvo but I have done this in other cars and they don't always fit as easily as many people expect. Often the floorpan is different, engine mounting is different, etc.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:51 PM

I'd stay with the auto, and this time do a regular drain and fill at 33K intervals. That's what I'm doing on my original 2001, and am approaching 130K with a tranny that runs just like new.

Jerry

Old 02-07-2012, 05:32 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have heard that a 3-speed manual from a 72 Ford Maverick can be used as a direct replacement. Try that first.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:14 PM

Funny Tony mentions the Maverick tranny. Hay who knows? I had a 1973 145 and was just looking around in a salvage yard one day, and a guy approached me and said, that car has the same tranny as a Rambler. Fast-forward 6 years, and I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere (Velmey Nevada) as the alternator brings seized up and fried the water pump belt.

Lucky me I was towing a trailer with my dirt bike. I ride to Battle Mountain to buy an alternator. Of course they don't have it (can in 2-3 days), so I ask where is the local "yard"? I search there, but no Volvos. The thought about the Rambler comes to mind, and I find the exact replacement in a Rambler! I ran that alternator for the next 4 years. Changed it for an Kraigan rebuilt because my wife had to drive to Pennsylvania from California (New is always better......RIGHT???). Of course the new one died on the way......GO FIGURE!

Jerry

Old 02-11-2012, 07:47 PM

I was a line mechanic in a large BMW car dealer here in Detroit area for nearly 9 years back in the 1980s. When we had auto trans work, (I did all the manual trans work, but sometimes would R&R the autos if that guy was backed up), and we needed auto trans parts for the BMWs, we would send the parts driver over to Coon Brothers AMC, (Rambler) dealership on Telegraph Rd. in Detroit to pick up parts. Yep, the AMC, (Rambler) used lots of the same internals. Probably cost a hell of a lot less than BMW "Ersatzteile" (original replacement parts).
Lots of replacement parts are exactly the same on Euro cars; switches, motors, and all sorts of electrical items, especially, are used on many different cars. Buy a window switch for a Benz =$$$$, buy the identical switch from a VW =less$$
I went through a period of SAAB fixation in late '70s-'80s. Depending on the production date, you could own a SAAB that might have parts, (wiper motors, or alternators, say,) from MARRELLI, (Italy), BOSCH, (Deutschland), MARCHALL, (France), LUCAS, (England), or any combination of those. It might have GIRLING brakes, or it might have ATE brakes. Volvo did this to a much lesser degree. Master interchangeability catalogs are available to salvage yards that deal in American cars and trucks, but I don't know if these exist for salvage yards that deal in Euro or Asian cars.
By the way, Did anyone check on that new 2001 trans for sale on Detroit Metro CraigsList? $1500 seems like a good deal to me if you need one.