Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 XC90 T6 P2088 Code

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 XC90 T6 P2088 Code

Hi,

Just had the head off doing a valve/head job. Just got it all put back together and I'm getting a CEL and am pulling a P2088 code with an OBD scanner. I have double checked the timing and it seems correct, but I'm open to the idea that it's off. The code comes on about 10 seconds after starting the car. Sometimes it will idle VERY rough, but if I clear the code it will immediately start purring like a kitten. Turn it off and start it again the CEL comes back on and maybe/maybe not a rough idle. If it does idle rough clearing the code makes it run smooth again.

I did have some problems with oil pressure right at first where the warning would flicker on at idle but not stay on. Changed the filter and oil and that has not re-emerged. I do know the filter was pretty old and the car had sat a while. When putting it back I had replaced the oil but not the filter. After seeing the warning I replace both and the warning hasn't come back. I know that low oil pressure can affect the VVT's, but I would think it would't show until you actually drove the car- could be wrong about that. The code remains after changing oil/filter.

As far and I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) P2088 has to do the the actuator for the INTAKE side of the VVT. So hypothetically the problem would be on the intake side if there was a timing problem. Not sure where to look next with this, I'm stumped.

Also finally got my VIDA up and working. The missfire codes only come in after a rough idle. They are not there when I'm only pulling a P2088 code.

Hope someone can help. Thanks!

Old 04-12-2019, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Success! I feel kind of dumb at this point, but I would like to show folks what my problem was:

The Yellow Band connector needs to go on the intake side. I had the yellow band connector on the exhaust side. Not sure how I missed that when putting it back together. I should have at least thought this is arbitrary and gone to look it up. Turns out I had a 50/50 shot of being wrong. It also appears that the intake side has a green stripe on the harness.

Just in case you check this and you are OK but have the same symptoms as I do here is a list from my research on what to check where common issues give this code:

1. Sludge in the actuator valve or low oil pressure. These operate on oil pressure, and lots of ppl seem to have issues with this code when they have low pressure. This was a red herring for me since I had a low pressure warning, but it turns out it was a separate issue that I have since resolved.

2. Bad timing, such as after a timing belt job or similar. Being off a tooth will still run, but throw a code and this one is reported to be one of those. As a general rule first look at things you recently messed with if you get a new code. In my case I did recently have the timing all disconnected, but in my case everything was correct.

3. Replace the solenoid itself - don't spend $130 from the stealership, I got my replacement (that I didn't actually need) from a junkyard for $11.

4. Damage to wire/connector.

Hope others find this helpful.

Alex