Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 2.5T Cranks but no Start, no fuel pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 2.5T Cranks but no Start, no fuel pressure.

Hi everyone,

The other day I was going to take the kids to a park a few blocks away from the house and my xc90 made it 3 houses down before it lost power and left me on front of a neighbors house. Before that, the only issue I had it's been a hard start once and lost of power also once but vehicle recovered on its own. So, i looked at the fuel pump fuse and switched relays to another one with same part number but still nothing. Search into this issue and seems like the fuel control module seems to be the normal culprit, so i took my rear passenger tire and to my surprise mine has been relocated, so that left me wondering...

I also have no codes like i seen people in other threads, well one but was unrelated small vacuum leak i had prior to this issue. My fuel pump makes no noise been i turn the key and no fuel comes out from the shredder valve in the fuel rail. When i had my v70 pressing that shredder valve would have made a mess.

Anyways just looking for guidance on what to replace first, car has 128k miles. Also where is the fuel control module relocated? I took my middle seats off thinking that was the relocation spot under the passanger side and i don't see it under the carpet and foam.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:58 PM

Check the trunk, when relocated, it is in the trunk.

Report back what you find.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:39 PM

Well still no luck finding the fuel control module didn't see it anywhere after taking all the carpet, anyways car started and ran with help of starting fluid so i know 100% is a fuel issue, there are signs that the fuel pump has been done before must have been from the recall this models had. There were few bolts missing and they cut the foam insulation at the fuel pump cover, for this reason i really wanna try the fuel control module first. Plus, is cheaper than the pump.

Anyways got some pics maybe someone can see something or point me were to look. Only weird thing is the extra plug in my harness but that could be for a 4X4 model or other anotherr option i don't have.

Name:  4iF0gdJ.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  234.0 KB

Name:  nUn85AQ.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  256.2 KB

Name:  vTOyJXP.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  251.0 KB

Name:  9o91dj7.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  217.8 KB

Name:  MDtMUQD.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  176.7 KB

I know i was lazy and dident take the seat belts off...

Old 06-16-2015, 05:15 PM

I guess im just updating myself just incase anyone goes thru something similar, went to get battery charged bc of all the cranking i been doing. Anyways once i returned and reconnected the battery my fuel pump started working again or at least i could hear it now but still no start but now i notice my rpms gauge dont move while cranking... Crankshaft postion sensor?

Old 06-24-2015, 04:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is weird. I had to replace my FCU/PEM and it was in the front part of the rear passenger wheel well. Removed the rear passenger wheel, removed the 10mm plastic nuts in the front part of the rear wheel well, peeled back the wheel well liner and it was right there.

Otherwise they're typically under the passenger seats in the back but not on yours. This sounds dumb but maybe try the driver's side wheel well?

Also I'm not sure if the fuel pressure sensor on the end of the fuel rail would cause your issues but something to think about? Also clogged fuel filter?

Your options seem to be the fuel pump, FCU, filter, relays, injectors, fuel pressure sensor...not sure what else. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2015, 06:37 PM

I already tried the fuel filter as it was getting time to replace it and it was the cheapest option but had no luck with that. I thought about looking for the FCU/PEM in the rear driver side wheel 2 like you said bc thats where is located in right hand driven vehicles but mine is a US model (left hand drive) anyways I ended up ordering a CPS bc it seem really strange that my rpms wouldn't read while cranking plus it was only 36$ for a Denso replacement and with no codes I'm really just taking a semi educated guess lol but if this don't work im gona rent a fuel pressure gauge bc its weird that my pump was not working before and now it seems to work.

The part should come in today so i'll let you all know how it goes.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:31 PM

New crankshaft position sensor installed still no signal to rpms everything else works on the gauge cluster, camshaft position sensor? will check the actual fuel pressure and spark this weekend.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:57 PM

I forgot to mention that before I had any of this issues it had rain for 2 weeks straight! Maybe water got in somewhere were it aint suppose 2 some people had water go to their CEM and cause a crank no start condition. Anyways for those that need the location of the PEM/fuel control module here are the possible locations, except for my car lol still cant find the damn thing

By the passenger rear tire, passanger rear seat and passanger thrid row seat.

Name:  yPLhF9e.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  83.5 KB

Last edited by volvoxc9O; 06-25-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:43 PM

Been lazy lately been driving the boring but dependable toyota, rented a fuel pressure tester and compression tester from the autostore. I hooked the FPT to the schraeder valve on the fuel rail and turning the key on the prime position and while cranking I got 2 fat 0's even doh I can hear the pump buzz for 2-3 sec. Then I hooked the FPT to the schraeder valve located before the fuel filter, still another 0 while cranking and priming. Obviously the pump is getting power I can hear it buzz every time, relay works u can feel it click with ur finger when the key is turn to position 2 and fuse is good. So before I order this fuel pump that sounds like it works but puts 0 pressure, Could the fuel pressure sensor affect my psi's in anyway? also i might open the tank to check if my pick up line has dislodge from the pump but for all that work i might as well put a new one in. I have no need to do the compression test anymore but might still do it if it cools down today, just 4 curiosity to see the condition of my engine.

Oh also I took my CEM out earlier this week to check for water damage and corrosion, clean has a whistle .

Old 07-27-2015, 10:07 AM

Got this running a while back, ended up been the fuel pump I also order the second fuel sending unit sense I was already there which was a 100$ more. U will need to use a special tool to open the tank, the most IMPORTANT thing to remember is to tie something to the pump when u pull the old one out so u can install the new one with ease. It will be a major pain to do it without a fishing string bc is hard to get into position due to the shape of the tank.

I bought my tool at http://www.amazon.com/Schley-Product...fuel+pump+tool

Name:  qgaXhkV.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  200.9 KB
I used a blue strap to fish it in.