Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 XC90 AWD - Volvo Stealership!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 XC90 AWD - Volvo Stealership!!!

My parents own an XC90 and they took it to the dealer for a strange smell coming from the A/C. Turns out that the cabin air filter needs to be replaced. The Volvo STEALERSHIP (Power Volvo) quoted them $500 to replace the engine air filter and cabin air filter. Are you kidding me? The engine air filter costs 30 bucks at Autozone, the cabin air filter costs $14 online, for a total of $44.00. So they're going to charge them $456 for what I see as about an hour's worth of labor? Absolute rip off artists.

Speaking of replacement, are the screws holding the engine air filter and cabin air filter a Torx T25 screw as in the 2004? Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:42 AM
Default RE: 2006 XC90 AWD - Volvo Stealership!!!

Hi, welcome to the forum.

See my writeup here for the filter replacement procedure including tools required:
https://volvoforums.com/m_118203/tm.htm

I don't believe you are correct about the replacement engine air filter being available at Autozone. I just went through this last month, in fact I still need to get one. See the info I researched on the aftermarket engine filters from Murrays, Advance, and Autozone here: https://volvoforums.com/m_118972/tm.htm I do think the engine air filter by K&N listed at Advance Auto website (i.e. Parts America) is the correct replacement, but at $51.99 I did not order it. I'm guessing its correct based on the dimensions of the filter that they list along with the rest of the description.

As far as the dealer charges; are you sure they weren't including a maintenance interval service or other workin that quote? For the major service intervals my dealership charged upwards of $350 or so, but, that did also include both the cabin and engine air filter replacements among other things.

If that is truly all they were quoting, then you are right that the price is outrageous. I replaced the cabin filter in like 15 minutes, and the air filter box I had apart and back together in about the same amount of time. No way should it be 4+ hours of labor charge, even at $100./hr.

Good luck, and if you find a replacement engine air filter readily available, let me know too!

Old 10-16-2008, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the filter changing info. I just bought one through eBay - $13.75 + $3.25 shipping.

It was the title of the post - specifically "Stealership" that caught my eye.

I'm going through a similar problem with Power Volvo in Torrance, CA. My wife took the car in for the P45 extended warranty issue - Check Engine Light stays on.

They didn't even check the system software, just replaced a hose in the PCV system per TSB#168 and reset the light.
They did a multi point inspection and said everything looked good.....except, that it "Appeared " that the engine had "Sludge Build-up" - (by looking at the dipstick)$250 to cure that and that the coolant reservoir had a leak ( it doesn't and it hasn't been mentioned since) $380 for a new one!

Light came back on a few days later so she took it back last night. The service technician says it has to be something else, he'll call us. I spoke to the guy this morning and now he says it needs the software upgrade. I told him that was the reason we took it in in the first [place....why didn't he do that the first time? Evidently he didn't read the letter!

Nevertheless now the "Diagnostic Pump" is bad....what the heck is a diagnostic pump? I couldn't find it. Also the gas cap (which was just tested when the car was smogged last month) is bad too and some type of valve has gone bad.

All this in a week's time after the multi-point inspection said everything was fine!

Old 10-29-2008, 01:22 AM

Thanks for the info.
I have a 2006 XC90 2.5T. Does anyone know if the above filter replacement instructions (on link provided by bluemagicbus) applies to my xc90 also?