Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 xc90 with dash message "start prevented try again"

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 xc90 with dash message "start prevented try again"

Hello everyone and thank you for your help. I drove our XC90 to church everything was fine when we ready to leave just clicks when you turn it over and the message is "start prevented try again." Got it towed home and started checking it out. The battery voltage is at 12.5 volts I hear a clicking noise coming from the fuse box under the break pedal and the rear fuse panel. I have read different threads and followed those suggestions. I have left the battery cable off for an hour, locked and unlocked the car with the key in the drivers door. I have read about the Ignition Immobilizer going bad. I do notice that the ring around the ignition isn't lighting up. So what are your suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks again for your help.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there can be 3 issues.
1. key
2. Antenna for reading transponder key. Wires and connector for it.
3. CEM (Central module).

1 You can check with additional key if you have one.
2 Check connector. 1 contact should have battery voltage in II ignition position. 7th should be properly grounded. If it's ok you can try replace antenna by the used one. They are the same for the whole model line. Yours can have faulty bulb inside it. But usually that does not do anything wrong for reading keys.
3. Do you have sun-roof? if yes you need to check it's drains. If they are plugged up the water can leak on CEM. If not yo still can have faulty CEM.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Default Thanks for the reply

I ordered a new ignition immobilizer I will try it today. I don't have another key to try. Yes I do have a sun roof I don't know if the drains are clogged or not. Where can I order a CEM at (besides dealer) and where is the CEM located? Thanks again for all your help.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:42 PM

New CEM can be reprogrammed only by dealer. You can try to ask xemodex if they can help you repairing it.

There is a good topic with links to some picks about CEM.
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...p?f=34&t=46148

Old 07-24-2013, 07:39 PM

Alright where do I start, pin 1 has 12 volts old antenna smelled burnt. In the message window its now saying "SRS-AIRBAG SERVICE URGENT, PASS AIRBAG OFF SERVICE URGENT, START PREVENTED TRY AGAIN, ANTI-SKID TEMPORARILY OFF." All of this happened after I took the cables off of the battery for ten minute's. What is the next thing I need to check or replace. Thanks again for your help.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:05 AM

That is 3 different problems.
Originally Posted by PsychoForJesus
"SRS-AIRBAG SERVICE URGENT, PASS AIRBAG OFF SERVICE URGENT,
This one can be because you opened some airbag circuit while ignition was in II position. Have you waited for 3-5 minutes after switching off ignition before removing ground connector from battery?

START PREVENTED TRY AGAIN,
The key still cannot be read.

ANTI-SKID TEMPORARILY OFF."
That message can have several roots. It can disappear later if everything is fine. To tell the exact issue error code scan is needed.

What is the next thing I need to check or replace. Thanks again for your help.
So what exactly have you done. Have you replaced the antenna module?
Please in details. Everything can be important.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:25 AM

Doublebug thanks for all your help so far!
I took the old antenna off and it smelled burnt at the connector (the capacitor that is on the board). There was no power to the connector I checked the fuse in the dash at the drivers door and it was blown. I plugged in the fuse put in the new antenna and took both cables off of the battery. After 10 minutes put the cables back on (negative last) then tried to start it and that's when all the other codes where coming up. I have the Actron CP9180 auto scanner plus and I don't believe that it will erase the airbag, anti skid, and start prevented codes. What scanner tool do you recommend to erase all of these codes? Do you think that when the antenna shorted out it could have damaged the CEM? If it is the key can it get a new one programmed with out the car being present at a dealer or shop (having one towed 150 miles won't be cheap)?
Thanks again for all your time and help in this matter.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:16 AM

I found these two scanners for resetting the fault codes.

Foxwell NT600 Auto Scanner Diagnostic

Or a

MaxiDiag scanner (not sure which model)

Do recommend these or other brands?

Old 07-25-2013, 10:34 AM

I would buy DiCE.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:50 PM

Do you use the dice yourself? Is it better than the other scan tools out there? What do you think about the previous problems I was having?

I took the old antenna off and it smelled burnt at the connector (the capacitor that is on the board). There was no power to the connector I checked the fuse in the dash at the drivers door and it was blown. I plugged in the fuse put in the new antenna and took both cables off of the battery. After 10 minutes put the cables back on (negative last) then tried to start it and that's when all the other codes where coming up. I have the Actron CP9180 auto scanner plus and I don't believe that it will erase the airbag, anti skid, and start prevented codes. What scanner tool do you recommend to erase all of these codes? Do you think that when the antenna shorted out it could have damaged the CEM? If it is the key can it get a new one programmed with out the car being present at a dealer or shop (having one towed 150 miles won't be cheap)?

Old 07-25-2013, 02:16 PM

Where do you recommend that I purchase one from since I'm reading there are ones to stay away from. I have read in a couple of threads about programming new keys with dice is that possible? I hope so if it ends up being the key I can program a new one my self. Do you recommend ebay to purchase a new key or else where. There is a seller on ebay selling new keys and can cut them if you give him your vin number.
Thanks again for your help

Old 07-25-2013, 02:31 PM

I use DiCE (Chinese Clone). It the best scanner for Volvo model year 1999 and up. Dealer use it too.
Actually you don't need to remove cables from battery for replacing antenna. Ignition off is enough.
As for CEM it depends how it was short circuited. What number of fuse have you replaced? Have you checked the power after replacing fuse? Have you checked ground connection?

Old 07-26-2013, 07:45 AM

I believe it was fuse # 11 it was an 7.5 amp fuse (fuse panel in dash drivers door). The short happened in the original antenna it looks like the capacitor failed. Yes there is still 12 volts going to the antenna, how do I need to check the ground? In using the ground for the antenna when I test it. I will check again this evening I checked it Wednesday and it was showing the 12 volts but it was negative I assumed I had pin one and seven swapped since there are no numbers on the plug to tell me which one is which. Where do you recommend buying the dice from? Do you like a dealer on a website or get it from ebay?
Thanks again for all your help.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:44 AM

#11 fuse is right. Also see my answer in PM.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:37 AM
Default xc90 on dash- start prevented try again

This has just happened on my wife's 2004 XC90, baffled, got out of car put lock on, took lock off, tried a few times. Then I got out locked the car on the fob and hit the yellow attack alarm button for 5'ish seconds, alarm started, unlocked car on fob got in and it started !
Maybe it is the battery on the key fob or may even try the spare key.
Feeling very pleased with myself !

Old 05-18-2016, 06:44 AM

I bought my XC90 05 2.5T, Dec 15, had the same problems, I did the same steps. It wasn't a dependable fix. I took it into a winterization deal, and dealership said my fob was bad, they replaced the key, reprogrammed. The push button wasn't springing the key out. some how that wasn't helping. I have no idea what that means, but my car starts dependable. (while it was still running, different story)

Old 11-10-2016, 12:40 PM
Default Start prevented try again

I replace the inmovitador antenna and keep giving me same message.

The dealer told me that I have to program the part.

Is that correct? Volvo 2002 s60

Old 11-22-2016, 10:44 PM
Default Switching keys solved it for me.

I have a 2005 XC90 and got the "start prevented try again" message in a parking lot using the "electronic" key (the key with remote lights, unlock etc.).

I happened to have the non-electric back up key with me, used that and it started.

I tried switching keys several times in the parking lot but the electronic key wouldn't work - not even after I drove home using the back up non-electric key. I had dropped the electronic key just before the trouble started, but it still seems to be able to lock, unlock and turn on the lights (so I don't think it's the battery). It just won't start the car.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:31 AM

Hey all. First, thanks for this great information. My wife's XC90 2010 is in the shop now with the same problem. Started about a month ago. Great advice on here.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:22 AM

Issue resolved!!! Wife was using the other key FOB and it was working. So, I decided to change the battery in my FOB. Car started perfectly with no issues. Still working after a week. Hope this helps someone.