Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti skid light, radio issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti skid light, radio issue

Hello !
I just got a 2004 Volvo XC90 a few weeks ago. Can someone tell me why my anti-skid light is on, and the radio and sun roof doesn't work. I have the manual and tried to program the radio with the instructions given, The key has to be turned to (1) in the ignition switch and when I did this, the radio does light up with the menu and so forth but I cannot get any music. Is there a code for this ? I think the car had a remote to control the radio but it was not given to me when I got the car. At one point the alarm service light was on ( but not now). I called a Volvo dealer and he said the alarm light has something to do with the sun roof not working, could be about 600.00 to fix and the anti-skid light could be due to a DEM (I have not a clue what that is, could cost about 550.00. I know I got a lot going on here but can someone explain what each of these indicators could mean and how I can get it resolved in a way wont cost too much. The car drive smooth and nice for now. Thank you !

Old 11-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We can't exactly help you without codes being pulled there are a lot of things that could cause each one of these. How did the dealership know about the problems? Was it taken there to be diagnosed before?

Old 11-18-2014, 08:08 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the forum Nbkzyd1

DEM - - > Differential Electronic Module Repair and Return for Volvo | Xemodex United States

Try Googling or whatever search engine you like.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nbkzyd1: I had the same symptoms when I purchased the same year and model. It turned out that the siren module has a rechargeable battery that over time got corroded and damaged the control board. The sunroof is on the same communication path so it caused the computer to disable the sunroof. Dealers can disable the alarm system so that you don't have to have the same problem several years down the road, or you can have the alarm module replaced. I chose the removal, cheaper, and it is a permanent solution. Cost is about $150 for removal. I called around and only one dealer was willing to do that. The other dealers treated me like an idiot. I researched this topic for months to get to the root of this problem.

As to radio, I am not 100% for sure, but it could have a dead/dying unit.

The XC90 has a design flaw, in my opinion. The original sunroof drain pipe has a angle turn that is made with rubber and it can age and get clogged. When that happens, you can get a fish bow when it rains heavily. Mine had the problem. I had to remove all the carpet to dry, otherwise there is water trapped under. My amplifier was apparently submerged in water once and it gave error message. Local car audio shop wants to charge at least $600 to put in the cheapest replacement. I did my research, found the wiring, cut some wires and installed an aftermarket unit in a few hours.

I have seen a lot of XC90 having the same problems.