Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end noice when turning.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end noice when turning.

Have 07 v6 xc90. Have 17k miles and have noticed a noise getting louder over the last 10k miles when you make sharp turns or brake while you are turning. Saw on a post that the suspension bolts get strippedand the dealer replaced the suspension completely and that fixed the problem. I asked the dealer on mine buthe said that mine were fine andhe tightened and the sound when away for about 2k miles. Now I need to go back to the dealer again for the same problem. Any one else with this problem?

Old 04-01-2008, 06:09 AM
Default RE: Front end noice when turning.

Hi agent,

Welcome to the forum. I also ran into a steeringnoise problem last summer on our XC90. For reference its an '05, V-8, AWD.

The noise wouldappear:

1.) Onlywhen makingvery sharp right hand turnsonly,and only when the steering wheel was nearly fully locked to the right, and

2.)when turning to the right AND applying the brakes at very slow (< 5-10 mph) speeds. When turning at higherspeeds the noise was not there.

Otherwise the vehicle ran just fine and no noise or vibration at allwhen driving at city or highway speeds.

I mentioned the problem to the dealer at the next service interval, and the fix was to tighten a loose brake backing plate. They told me it had loosened up and was rubbing against the wheel causing that squealing noise. Since the amount of time they had the vehicle on the rack during that service visit was comparable to our other trips I have to believe it was that and nothing major that they would try to cover up (our dealer is actually very good... expensive, but very good).

I don't recallreading anything about XC90's needing a wholesale front end replacement.

Hope this helps, and let us know how it turns out so we can all learn from your (hopefully easy and painless) experience.

bluemagicbus

<edit... since that service visit and fix, the noise has not ever come back again, even after the front brake pads and rotors were replaced some months later>

Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 AM

The noise on mine happens to the left or right like a clunk when the car stablizes from the turn.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:11 PM

Sounds like a similar issue I had with my X06 V8 last fall ("popping noises from front suspension).I researched this and found that many other XC90 owners had similar problems and thatVolvo had released a Technical Bulletin on this:TNN 61-10 (NOISE FROM BOLTS). My dealer had previously not been able to "replicate" the problem, but when I brought copies of Forum postings fromSwedespeed about this problem (http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothr...687&page=1), my dealerfinallyreplaced the control arm bolts per TNN 61-10. I've not had any problems with the popping noise for the last 7K miles.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Resurrecting for possible fix for others

I have a Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD. This is a heavy SUV and handling has always been a little soft for my taste. I recently have experienced a popping noise from the front driver side while hitting certain dips in the road bellow 45MPH and while turning. It was driving me CRAZY as you can feel it, hear it and it sounded like the entire front end was going to fall off.

My Control Arms and associated hardware are all new OEM and I rechecked and tightened them accordingly. To no avail, noise was still there.

I have tested spring seats and had the dealer check and tighten the front end components. they re-assured me all was well. However, the noise persisted!

I researched some more and found out what might be causing the problem is that the sway bar end links are a common weakness on the XC 90s. After calling the Volvo dealer they confirmed it would be a good move to replace mine given my 110,000 mile mark.

I found a few positive reviews of a Moog product on other car and performance forums and thought it would be my best bet. At less than $50 shipped for the parts i needed how could I go wrong.

Once the end links arrived and I unboxed them, it was immediately apparent that they were much heavier duty than the Volvo links currently in place. I would say they are twice as thick as the OEM pieces. I was also happy to see that they are serviceable with the ability to re-grease and keep them lubricated properly.

Installation was fairly easy and straight forward. Removing the OEM links is the worst part. It requires either an Allen key, or as in my case, a 30torx bit. Try not stripping that out while attempting to break loose an 18mm nut that has been on for 110,000 miles...

The replacement with the Moog links went quickly once the original pieces were removed. Tightening and finalizing the install is much easier with the Moog design. You use a 3/4 open ended wrench to stabilize the back side of the bolt and torque the top nut with an 18mm deep socket or 18mm box end wrench. The bottom bolt is the same 3/4 for bracing the back and a 15mm nut. I originally did not torque the nuts enough and subsequently had a worse popping and crunching noise on both sides than I did before I replaced the links. It did make me think that the introduction of the same noise on the other side after changing this one piece confirms that was my noise culprit. After re-tightening and really torquing those suckers down tight, all pops and creaking noises have gone away.

I added a bit of new lithium grease until the rubber boot bulged just a bit on both the top and bottom joints. The difference in handling was immediate on my Missouri country back roads. The ride quality improved as well over my gravel road and bumps on the highway. Much more solid feel and not as soft as I previously had with the worn and thinner diameter OEM links.

Overall I am very pleased with about 1,000 miles on the new Moog end links. And the best part is my POPPING and CRUNCHING noises have gone away! This fix was a low cost, DIY (30-45 minutes a side) solution and it worked.

The following users liked this post:
Rmoseley9921 (04-25-2023)
Old 02-04-2019, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My XC90 has the EXACT SYMPTOMS - How do I fix it myself?

Originally Posted by bluemagicbus
Hi agent,

Welcome to the forum. I also ran into a steeringnoise problem last summer on our XC90. For reference its an '05, V-8, AWD.

The noise wouldappear:

1.) Onlywhen makingvery sharp right hand turnsonly,and only when the steering wheel was nearly fully locked to the right, and

2.)when turning to the right AND applying the brakes at very slow (< 5-10 mph) speeds. When turning at higherspeeds the noise was not there.

Otherwise the vehicle ran just fine and no noise or vibration at allwhen driving at city or highway speeds.

I mentioned the problem to the dealer at the next service interval, and the fix was to tighten a loose brake backing plate. They told me it had loosened up and was rubbing against the wheel causing that squealing noise. Since the amount of time they had the vehicle on the rack during that service visit was comparable to our other trips I have to believe it was that and nothing major that they would try to cover up (our dealer is actually very good... expensive, but very good).

I don't recallreading anything about XC90's needing a wholesale front end replacement.

Hope this helps, and let us know how it turns out so we can all learn from your (hopefully easy and painless) experience.

bluemagicbus

<edit... since that service visit and fix, the noise has not ever come back again, even after the front brake pads and rotors were replaced some months later>
I also have an 05 XC90 V8. Its currently has 64,500 miles on it. It is doing EXACTLY what you describe your 05 XC90 V8 is doing. Was the loose brake backing plate the problem, or did you find something else sometime after that? I would like to fix it myself, if at all possible. If anyone has instructions, that would be great. I know this thread is over 10 years old, but thank you so very much. I am attaching a video of the sound. I was turning right, and also had my foot on the brake.

The following users liked this post:
DLWest (10-29-2021)
Old 08-10-2020, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer Woodward Fradella
I also have an 05 XC90 V8. Its currently has 64,500 miles on it. It is doing EXACTLY what you describe your 05 XC90 V8 is doing. Was the loose brake backing plate the problem, or did you find something else sometime after that? I would like to fix it myself, if at all possible. If anyone has instructions, that would be great. I know this thread is over 10 years old, but thank you so very much. I am attaching a video of the sound. I was turning right, and also had my foot on the brake.
Did you ever figure yours out! On my 06 XC90 V8 Ocean Race, I’ve got more of a "shudder" in low speed tight turns, both to left and right. Maybe a minor "thump, thump, thump" afterwards for a few second while driving straight. Then nothing, fine, no noise, runs like a champ. It almost reminds me of the feel when you leave an unsynchronized four-wheel drive system engaged and drive in a tight circle on dry pavement. Dont ask how I know that feeling....
Thx

Old 04-24-2021, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jphowey
Did you ever figure yours out! On my 06 XC90 V8 Ocean Race, I’ve got more of a "shudder" in low speed tight turns, both to left and right. Maybe a minor "thump, thump, thump" afterwards for a few second while driving straight. Then nothing, fine, no noise, runs like a champ. It almost reminds me of the feel when you leave an unsynchronized four-wheel drive system engaged and drive in a tight circle on dry pavement. Dont ask how I know that feeling....
Thx
I believe I am having a similar issue with my 2008 V70. It does feel like the 4x4 tight turn on dry pavement. (Gosh, don't ask me how I know either. LOL!) I also have recently been feeling and hearing a shuddering metallic pop or clunk out of the front end in low speed turns, like metal somewhat gently binding against metal and then releasing. The inside row of tread on my front tires had worn down to cords.I just put new tires on all around last week. I was underneath the front end today and felt the rubber boots and they feel empty. I ***loathe*** non-greaseable steering components. I've got about 93,000 on it. I replaced the rear brakes last summer by myself but holy cow... I look at all that knuckle-busting gunk and rust on those fasteners under the front end that have been exposed to Minnesota weather for 92,000 miles and I just think if I could get out of a shop under $400 or $500 I would probably be satisfied.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by rjgimp
I believe I am having a similar issue with my 2008 V70. It does feel like the 4x4 tight turn on dry pavement. (Gosh, don't ask me how I know either. LOL!) I also have recently been feeling and hearing a shuddering metallic pop or clunk out of the front end in low speed turns, like metal somewhat gently binding against metal and then releasing. The inside row of tread on my front tires had worn down to cords.I just put new tires on all around last week. I was underneath the front end today and felt the rubber boots and they feel empty. I ***loathe*** non-greaseable steering components. I've got about 93,000 on it. I replaced the rear brakes last summer by myself but holy cow... I look at all that knuckle-busting gunk and rust on those fasteners under the front end that have been exposed to Minnesota weather for 92,000 miles and I just think if I could get out of a shop under $400 or $500 I would probably be satisfied.
My tires are wearing fine. I replaced right engine mount, outer tie rods, and wheel bearings. Which car kind of needed anyway. None of those fixed noise.

My new theory. Front upper strut mounts have ball bearing "lazy susan" type plate that allow some rotation. Maybe suspension geometry twists those noisily in slow tight turn, and then they return to quieter rest. At some point I'm going to take it apart and check. There is a test you do with torx bit in top of strut and try to rotate and see if it spins freely indicating strut mount bad. Mine passes that test and doesn't rotate freely. So that tends to suggest they may be fine.

I've been it driving for almost a year and it hasn't gotten worse. I was worried it was angle gear at first, but AWD works fine. Did some aggressive tests in winter snow and it was a champ

It's not your typical cv joint clicking noise, so I tend to rule that out too. But I may cut bands off boots open to see state, and relube.

Otherwise..... I'm stumped.