Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My return to Volvo has been a disaster!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My return to Volvo has been a disaster!

I purchased a CPO XC90 V8 approximately 2 weeks ago and so far it has been a disaster. Looking to see if anyone else experienced these problems:

On my 9th day of ownership = the left turn signal light was on (illuminated solid front to back) for several hours and then cut off on it's own.

10th day of ownership = Brake failure warning came on, Anti skid service required and engine service required (all 3 messages came on and stayed). Dealer diagnosed as just a "Glitch" no problems/concerns.

13th day of ownership = Engine immobilizer (wouldn't crank), Anti skid service required. Had car towed to the dealer for repair. Also, was able to eventually crank it 2 times while waiting for the tow truck but NO electrical would work (no wipers, radio, AC lights were on but nothing would work, wouldn't shift past 1st gear...basically all functions were stuck). Also, noticed a small drip/leak coming down from the parking brake (it was pouring down rain).

Dealer ordered a new BCM (Body control module) for the car and said they would bring it to us when it was done. We were on our way back from Vacation, so we had to rent a car and room as well as take off extra days for work. Eventually we came home since we had no idea when it would be fixed. We plan on using the Volvo on call $500 to help get some money back.

At this point I don't want my wife driving this POS around with our children (it is my wife's vehicle) but obviously we are SOL for getting our money back. It really sucks to have a so called "CPO" car go through this much in LESS than 2 weeks of ownership! This is my 5th Volvo and will be my last unfortunately. I was hoping for a miracle that the dealer would just say we are sorry you bought a lemon 10 days ago and give me a credit towards another or some money back. We even asked if they could buy it back and we would take a loss of some money for having it 10 days. I know it is a CPO used vehicle and dealerships do not buy back cars but dang it is frustrating!!!!

Oh well...I guess we just wait.

Last edited by NCS60; 08-03-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Unhappy I feel you

Volvo's are not the same since the company was sold in 1999. If you still have the XC90 get rid of it. The transmissions are bad and they drain from the sunroof. This vehicle was poorly manufactured.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by TroyBoy
Volvo's are not the same since the company was sold in 1999. If you still have the XC90 get rid of it. The transmissions are bad and they drain from the sunroof. This vehicle was poorly manufactured.
Really? Digging up a two year old post and then making an inane, ill-informed, and inaccurate comment?

Old 09-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am curious about what is inaccurate about the comment. At least from the perspective of the transmission in the T-6, they seem to be a real problematic car.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by louielaw
I am curious about what is inaccurate about the comment. At least from the perspective of the transmission in the T-6, they seem to be a real problematic car.
The transmissions in the 2.5t and the 3.2 (which constitute the overwhelming majority of XC90s sold) have proven exceptionally reliable. Thus a claim that "the transmissions are bad" would be inaccurate.

Away from the transmissions, both the objective data and the preponderance of subjective reports hold that the XC90 is a generally reliable car, particularly the 2.5t and 3.2 models.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:20 AM

What year is the OP's car as well? Our 2007 V8 sport has been a great car and we continue to enjoy it worry free.