Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav & Radio powers on/off together every few sec

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 05:15 PM
rhk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Nav & Radio powers on/off together every few sec

The navigation system/GPS and radio in my 2005 XC90 continuously powers on and off together every few seconds. The Nav just says loading and then goes to a blank screen and then the loading screen again and then blanks out again. The CD/radio powers off when the Nav goes blank and comes back when teh Nav returns to the loading screen. The Nav screen won't retract even when I press the "BACK" button when it's loading.

Thanks for any help on this!

Old 03-11-2010, 02:51 AM
Default Nav/Radio/Phone powers on/off together every few sec

Hi! I can not help you with your problem. I just found out yesterday that my own 2006 XC90 has the same problem. Every 1 minute it blanks out and starts back up instantly. Seems like first my Nav blanks out, then the radio/car phone. Also when I have the car in reverse, it stops the beeping from the rear parking sensors. I haven't timed it, but it looks like the same interval every time.

Have you found an answer from any other source?

Old 03-12-2010, 09:31 AM
rhk
Default Nav & Radio powers on/off together every few sec

I took it to a Volvo repair shop and they said it was the multimedia module that needs to be replaced for a cool $2200-2500! I called the dealer (since I read they often can get electronic parts less expensive) and they quoted me (without looking at the car but for the exact same repair) around $1200.

The shop also claimed that if I didn't want to spend that much, I could install a bypass just to get the radio/CD working again for about $400-500. I opted for none (but still paid $180 to get the supposed diagnosis). Once I got my car back, I removed the Nav CD (under the driver's seat) and then the radio/CD worked just fine. I was also able to then retract the Nav screen into the dashboard. I tried reinserting the Nav CD and the same old problems came right back.

I've never tested to see if my park distance control beeping was affected. My on/off was more frequent than every minute -- more like every 20 seconds or so.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:15 PM

My 2005 XC90 has been plagued by a similar issue for over the last year. In my case, when I turn on the car, the high end aspect of the radio, the Nav/GPS & the park assist either work or don't work. Eventually they work less and less until they don't work at all. When the dealer has reset the computer, upgraded the software, replaced the CD changer or tried other things, the systems return at first, but then deteriorate until they don't work at all.
rhk - you were able to fix your issue by simply removing the Nav CD?

Old 03-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Smile Nav & Radio powers on/off together every few sec

I just read your messages, then I walked out to the car, started up, listened to the radio and it turned off every 47 seconds as it has lately. Then I turned off the engine, removed the DVD from under the driver seat, started up the car again, and the problem was gone. I then simply cleaned the DVD surface on my jacket and put it back in. Still the problem is gone. I turned the engine off and on a few times, but it all works fine now.

I am sure my Volvo repair shop would have changed the whole unit.

Thank you, that solved it all for me. It may be the Nav unit under the driver seat need a thorough cleaning, but that will have to wait until or if the problem returns.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:09 AM
rhk

Originally Posted by brueklyn
My 2005 XC90 has been plagued by a similar issue for over the last year. In my case, when I turn on the car, the high end aspect of the radio, the Nav/GPS & the park assist either work or don't work. Eventually they work less and less until they don't work at all. When the dealer has reset the computer, upgraded the software, replaced the CD changer or tried other things, the systems return at first, but then deteriorate until they don't work at all.
rhk - you were able to fix your issue by simply removing the Nav CD?

By removing the Nav CD, the radio/CD player now works but obviously without the Nav CD, the Nav does not. I've tried putting the Nav CD back in but then the exact problem comes back (radio/CD and Nav powers on and off simultaneously).

Sounds like your dealer has tried several different things. Hope your car is still under warranty. Mine expired 8 months ago, of course...

VolvoXC90Norway -- glad your systems work now with a simple cleaning!

Old 06-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Default Navigation unit.

My 2005 xc90 just started doing the same on & off thing yesterday. I also found that removing the disc stops the problem, because it disabled the navigation disc drive unit.
I removed the unit and disassebled it, cleaned everything and reinstalled it. same problem.
I still think it's a nav. dvd drive unit failure, because everything works when it is disabled.
My next move is to replace it if I can find one.