Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New XC90 Owner with exterior door handle questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New XC90 Owner with exterior door handle questions.

Hello, I just purchased an 03 XC90 T6 has had the radiator fix done to it and also a brand new transmission. The only issue right now with it is that the front passenger exterior door handle is detached and the door handle is sitting in the glove box. Also on the driver side rear door the exterior handle is there but it acts like it is detached, when you pull it nothing happens almost like it is not even connected to anything. The prior owner said this is something that he has read online that has happened to quite a bit of the 03 XC90's. Is this something anyone is familiar with? Any idea on what parts would be needed? Here is a picture of my XC90 I pick it up tonight.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door handle broken exterior connection

Originally Posted by lmyamen
Hello, I just purchased an 03 XC90 T6 has had the radiator fix done to it and also a brand new transmission. The only issue right now with it is that the front passenger exterior door handle is detached and the door handle is sitting in the glove box. Also on the driver side rear door the exterior handle is there but it acts like it is detached, when you pull it nothing happens almost like it is not even connected to anything. The prior owner sad this is something that he has read online that has happened to quite a bit of the 03 XC90's. Is this something anyone is familiar with? Any idea on what parts would be needed? Here is a picture of my XC90 I pick it up tonight.

Ok you have three problem 1. No handle on exterior passenger door. 2. Driver door only opens from inside. 3. God knows if your passenger door even work.

ANSWER 1: pull off the door trim with torx 10,15,20 and a flathead screw driver to pry the plastic gently from the mental.
Step2. Disconnect the wiring for power windows and locks on door and fish out the latch on the inside out of the panel.
Step3 look for metal-gold colored latch and i believe there is a metal bushing or small lagged bolt and a nut
Two on both sides. Check the door panel for and pieces that fell out.

ANSWER2. NEED T10,T15,T25, T35-45 RAZOR BLADE, STICKY PUTTY, extention mirror, EXTENDABLE magnet or pinchers.
Step1. Pull off the door panel, make sure to leave the wire for the window and the door latch.
Step 2. Cut through the plastic creating a nice wall 4 inches fro. Each side of the door and down to about a 8in wondow at the gap at the bottom of the door.
Step3. See if you can reach in with your fingers and pull out peices or plastic or a broken part. If you can shake the door and hear something rattling then th R re is something there. Ise the mirror and pinchers to remove everything.
Step4. See if the parts to salvages can be glued back on the the metal poles in the car near the lock mechanism.
Step5. Call your volvo dealer or volvo mecanic with auto data and ask them if they can find you the part number for the door lock latch on the interior of the door near the handle. Sometimes they can get you one for $30.
Step6. Figure out what you want to do with what you have finish the job. And sticky putty the plastic back up not to get any on any clean parts that might move. Especially the window motor parts. (Ie. X bars lifting rods. The actual name escapes me right now.)
Step 7. Clean the speaker cover and wipe away duat in the connectors and apply anticrosive grease when you reattach.
Step8. Get your girl to open her own damn door.

I have no answer 3 that should help everything