Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resetting Vehicle Computer

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resetting Vehicle Computer

Hi Everyone. I am caught in a used car nightmare and would love if anyone out there has any information. I bought a 2003 XC90 on 8/24, it only had 61k miles on it and one owner. On 8/30, the transmission went bad. We called the dealer, they agreed to fix it and towed it to their shop. After going around in circles with these people, we finally asked the mechanic directly what was going on...he said it was spitting code TCM002B Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio. Everything I have found online points to needing a new transmission. The dealer told the mechanic to simply reset the computer and give it back to us. Now I am 8 months pregnant and have two other children under the age of 5, we bought this car because of the 3rd row seating in the back and because I am anti-minivan. I have consulted 2 independent mechanics that both said the same thing...that if you reset the vehicle's computer, the problem WILL happen again, it's only a matter of time. We believe the dealer has committed fraud and breached our verbal agreement to fix the vehicle and we simply want our money back.

My question is can you download information from a vehicle's computer that tells you how many times and when a reset has occurred? If we can prove that the dealer knew the transmission was bad before they sold it to us, we can file an auto dealer fraud suit against them. Being 8 months pregnant and soon to be on unpaid maternity leave, we cannot afford to replace a transmission at this time. We have tried working with this dealer on this issue by agreeing to let them fix it, which they obviously aren't going to do, OR exchange the vehicle, which they aren't willing to do either. I have filed a complaint with the BBB and intend to take further action with our local newspaper and TV news channels as well as filing a law suit.

Can you download reset information from a vehicle's computer control module? Thanks everyone!!! We are appalled that there are people out there who do business this way...and to think, we were repeat customers. One thing I can't stand is a liar. If anyone out there has any information that could help us, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, everyone!!!!

Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt it can be done, and also most of "generic" computers/code readers will not read all the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) in a Volvo...

I'd go to a small claim court where you can file damages up to $3000.00-that would cover more then 50% of the cost of replacement tranny ( if you won), in a small claim court you do not need a lawyer.