Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid: To change or not to change 3.2

Old 08-03-2018, 02:09 PM

The images did not come over cleanly.

Last edited by tony1963; 08-07-2018 at 08:45 AM. Reason: The images did not come over cleanly.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:28 AM

The procedure is does refer to another procedure apparently, called Oil Level, checking, so it probably has you starting the engine. I've seen other threads where some don't start it with no problems and some cars don't require starting the engine. But most do, as it makes sense that you need to keep the TC filled.

Also, researching fluids, it appears that viscosity is the main difference. The AW1 I cannot find specs but it is a low viscosity fluid, for better mileage. High mileage fluids have higher viscosity. I think mileage is the key driver for the AW1 at the expense of reliability IMO. The 3309 is higher viscosity. I just bought a 2008 XC70 and it was just flushed. But I don't know what fluid was used, and it has a slow shift 2-3 under load. I've read the fluid change can fix this. Also I was cruising at 85 in the desert and the trans temp warming came on. After cooling off I cruised at 80 no problem. Then after about 1000 miles, I was cruising at 80 at only about 65 ambient and the trans temp warning came on again. So I backed off to 75 no problem. But this worries me, because the fluid is breaking down, possibly wearing the trans excessively. I'll try 3309 first and hope it fixes it. If not I'll try a slightly higher viscosity (Castrol import has one with about 8 instead of 7.1 at 100C). They all list the specs in their data sheets.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:20 AM

If you have the transmission fluid temperature warning coming on then you definitely have a problem. Either you are low on fluid causing what is there to superheat or some other problem.

Over the years, I have read dozens of threads about transmission fluid. Rather than follow the manufacturers' recommendations, someone is always trying Crisco, Bisquick, cotton seed oil or Marvels Mystery Oil in an attempt to "one up" the factory. A 2008 Volvo XC70 would use 3309.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:21 AM

Well I got into it and drained 6+ qts, and flushed it per the procedure, and then added just over 3 qts. total (2 qts and 1.25 more with engine running) So it was 3 qts overfilled. And it smelled like toilet bowl cleaner. Supposedly it was recently flushed, and it is recorded in the Carfax. But they did not disturb the oil cooler lines, or the drain. I had to remove the level plug with a punch to get loose. I could not get the oil line removed from the oil cooler, and it was very tight clearance, so I just used a long clear tube hooked to the transmission end of the line.

Now it just has about a half sec delay before shifting 2-3 under load or high engine speed. It used to start to shift, pause, then shift. So there is still something causing a delay. Maybe a solenoid? I am going to try disconnecting the battery to see if it will reset it to default. I've heard of this fixing transmission issues on other cars.

And the air filter screws were all stripped, as were most of the belly pan screws. Doesn't surprise me.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:46 AM

Unhooking the battery will do nothing other than require you to reset your clock. If you want the computer to relearn the shift points, you have to get the transmission up to operating temperature and then with an appropriate scan tool you have to start the relearn process. We use a certain driving loop here that has a good mix of stop and go as well as highway driving to reset the transmission.