Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troubleshooting after an accident

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting after an accident

My '05 2.5t XC90 was rear-ended by someone going about 80-100kph. Fortunately we're all OK, really, but we're having some problems with the vehicle. What this really means is that I'm having some problems convincing my insurance company that the we're having problems with the vehicle.

First, the vehicle now runs out of gas when the display reads 100-120km of range left. Further, the gas tank shows 1/8 of a tank left and the gas light is not on yet. This has happened with both tanks I've used since we got the car back. The second time it was me testing my hypothesis and gathering evidence.

On the subject of fuel, the fuel filler door no longer sits flush, and I can't pump gas into the car without dribbling fuel in due to the pump shutting off from back pressure.

My theory is that the tank got hit hard enough to dislodge the pump, which has thrown off the sending unit for the gauge. I'm still working with my insurance company (trying to avoid hiring a lawyer) but they're hesitant to delve into something without "proof" that there's a problem.

Also, the car alarm has gone off on three separate occasions in the last couple weeks for "no reason". This wasn't happening before the accident, but people don't seem to be able to accept that there could be computer-related malfunctions even when the vehicle is rear-ended. The impact was hard enough to pop out the centre console. I should tell these people to try hitting their PCs that hard and then see if it's working properly afterward.

I've purchased a code reader (BlueDriver - Bluetooth to Vehicle) which should arrive this week. Maybe that will provide some clues.

If anyone has any suggestions about how I can go about narrowing down the underlying problem(s) and providing the appropriate evidence to the shop and insurance company, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a lot,
- Andrew.