Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water leak xc90

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 03:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have same problem with Volvo XC90 2016, as mentioned above, I bought car from a local Volvo dealer, now am dealing with the dealer, but my experience is same as everyone else, no much different. Volvo dealer charged me $5k to fix it, I paid, but they just can't fix the leaking, I have to bring the car 3 times in 2 months to them after they stated it's been fixed. Now, they ask me to pay more because it still leaking very bad, and I refused to pay more and ask a refund. I don't believe they are able to fix it. They ask me to call my insurance. WTF has any thing to do with my insurance? I am googling to see if Volvo means Rogue.

Last edited by SadVolvo; 12-08-2022 at 03:31 AM.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:36 AM

Hi,

I have got the same problem on my XC90 2016 inscription since 2 years now. Went to 2 different dealers but they are not familiair with this issue.
Do you have any pictures or video's to find out the problem with those drains in the back?

Old 05-08-2023, 09:45 AM

The Sunroof drain is blocked with some dirt.
How to diagnose: just spill some water in the hole at the very end of the sunroof. For me on one side water was coming out under the bumper, on the other side water started to leak in the trunk from the hole as shown in the picture.

Water coming out

What you need to do: find the pipe and clean it. Mine was on the right side:

Cleaning clog with some air

My pipe was brown color. You need to detach it from the bottom. To clean it you can use air or whatever can help you to unblock the drain. When finished spill some water and see if it's coming out at the bottom.
Good luck

Old 06-13-2023, 02:31 PM

Hey All - I have a 2016 Volvo XC90 R-Design owned since new and recently we had some major rain storms come through, next morning when dropping the kids off at school all the doors were locked and would not open (from the inside or out) windows and sun roof have all failed, and every warning light possible was on the car - right down to the car not recognizing the key (however car remains running). I proceeded to drive the car to the closest dealer hundreds of KM away and they found the roof drains (expected to be) are clogged, corroded, or popped off due to the influx of rain experienced ultimately flooding the car. All water present was under the floors submerging the electronics and not visible unless floors are removed and interior of car (seats and dash). Here is a link to the investigation ongoing https://kimo.by/iwi0x . while under Volvo warranty the car was brought in to address the leaking roof, we had water coming via the headliner and control center (center review mirror) a number of you are experiencing and was not covered under warranty, it was considered regular maintenance and ware and tare. repair bill was 1K and currently for the damages experienced by the influx of rain is in excess of 10k. To be clearer the 10K repair is not guaranteed to address all electric issues as they are required to pull the dash in its entirety to investigate further.

I am curious how everyone has faired in discussion with their insurance companies and local dealers related to this issue, and whether anyone has proceed with the repairs and found further issues presenting themselves related to water damage.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-18-2024, 02:10 AM
Default Insurance Reply?

Originally Posted by CanadianSweed
Hey All - I have a 2016 Volvo XC90 R-Design owned since new and recently we had some major rain storms come through, next morning when dropping the kids off at school all the doors were locked and would not open (from the inside or out) windows and sun roof have all failed, and every warning light possible was on the car - right down to the car not recognizing the key (however car remains running). I proceeded to drive the car to the closest dealer hundreds of KM away and they found the roof drains (expected to be) are clogged, corroded, or popped off due to the influx of rain experienced ultimately flooding the car. All water present was under the floors submerging the electronics and not visible unless floors are removed and interior of car (seats and dash). Here is a link to the investigation ongoing https://kimo.by/iwi0x . while under Volvo warranty the car was brought in to address the leaking roof, we had water coming via the headliner and control center (center review mirror) a number of you are experiencing and was not covered under warranty, it was considered regular maintenance and ware and tare. repair bill was 1K and currently for the damages experienced by the influx of rain is in excess of 10k. To be clearer the 10K repair is not guaranteed to address all electric issues as they are required to pull the dash in its entirety to investigate further.

I am curious how everyone has faired in discussion with their insurance companies and local dealers related to this issue, and whether anyone has proceed with the repairs and found further issues presenting themselves related to water damage.

Thanks in advance.

Did you ever get an answer from insurance about this?