Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90- rock to get out of park- permanent solution?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC90- rock to get out of park- permanent solution?

Hey folks! First time poster here.
My wife's XC90 (2007, 6 cylinder, 137,000 miles) is sticking in park more often these days; today it was on essentially flat ground. I was able to free it by rocking the vehicle.

I've done a search and read through these forums some, and although the problem was mentioned several times, I didn't see a permanent fix.

What's the permanent fix for this problem? It seems to be degrading, and I'd like to keep my wife's vehicle functioning well.

Thank you!

Old 11-14-2016, 07:38 AM

Have you checked the Claw?
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...y-drive-65100/

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-volvo-8675629

I suspected I had issues because I took the sides off the middle of the car, (between seats) and seen a broken part of this. I don't know if the symptoms were the same as yours.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:06 PM

Alright, after doing a little bit more searching- including a video of a lady taking apart a similar shifter for some type of Volvo sedan, I took a crack at the shift lock solenoid.

I was able to get apart the center console and partially remove the solenoid and exercise it a bit. There was no spilled soda, coffee or broken parts (claw intact), but there was some dirt. I cleaned up the best I could.
After I pulled it out of position a bit, it seemed to be operating freely, but I didn't pull it out completely. I also briefly disabled it by pulling one wire off. I put it all back together and cycled it several times while watching it, and I didn't see any trouble. It wasn't sticking in park after I freed it up initially, so I can't be sure if I 'fixed it' (knocked out some debris) until a few days pass. If I do have to replace the solenoid, it's about $80 ordered online or $140 from a local dealership.

A few notes:
Hitting the top of the shifter may work, instead of rocking the vehicle
Once you get the fascia out of the way and know where you're looking, one may clearly observe the operation of the solenoid.
If the transmission is in neutral or drive, it's easy to remove the plastic bracket that holds the solenoid in place. If I disconnect the linkage from the transmission to the shifter, the solenoid should come out very easily.

I'll post an update after a few days.