Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Ignition switch replacement Odd dash light show

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch replacement Odd dash light show

I bought a new OEM switch that I am going to put in when it arrives.

I have had issues with the car not starting and I overhauled the PNP switch and that seemed to solve issues but now they are coming back and I do not think it is the pnp switch acting up.

So out of precaution I am going to put in a new Ignition switch. I have in the past couple of weeks had issues where car would not start, there is no clicking. Have brand new battery (Napa) and is good, I disconnected both positive and negative cables and car keeps running so alternator is good as well.

Although something is more buggy than it ever has been and that is I have a lot of lights flickering on and off every thirty seconds or so Cel, battery, wipers. even the low gas orange dot comes on with the others. This has never happened, although car runs normal and no cel light stays on so no codes are to be found.

I am hoping that the Ignition switch solves my problem, will there need to be any programming after?

Thank you

Old 05-21-2016, 03:37 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

On my 2005 I replaced the switch with no programming needed. It had symptoms like yours where I'd turn the key to start and nothing would happen. Once I got the new switch in the feel was night/day difference. The old one was mushy and turned easily but the new one had a nice strong spring and felt much more precise.

Be warned it's a PITA to get the old switch out. VIDA says to remove the dash. Having no desire to go that route I ended up cutting away some support plastic in order to drop the switch out after it was loose. Time and patience.

EDIT: Which year is your car. My experience was not with the 2000-2004 models.

Last edited by Hudini; 05-21-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:44 PM

I have an 03, on the same channel Youtube there is a video and is said to take like 20 minutes, 4 star screws to remove shroud/steering cover.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:56 PM

Perhaps they have changed it quite a bit, mine seem like a piece of cake, I have not done it yet as I do not have the new switch in my possession yet but mine only has three Phillips screws and once the part comes, I don't imagine it to be too troublesome. I am going sown to take a quick pic.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:13 PM

If it tightens up the sloppiness/loose feel that in itself will be worth it.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:19 PM

Not sure if autocorrect works on cars, no pun intended BUT all I did was to remove the steering column shroud and the problem fixed itself.

I no longer have the lights on dash lighting up and turning off, seemed to happen on a thirty second interval.

I have not received the part yet but will throw it in when I get it. I barely touched anything, I did touch the switch itself and felt where it is plugged in but everything was solid and I doubt that I could have moved anything, my guess is maybe the long lever for tilting the steering wheel, moving that may have had something to do with it but it is gone as quickly as it came.