Another Question...Ignition Switch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Question...Ignition Switch Replacement

Okay, I'm hoping that this will be my last question for awhile but don't count on it.
I've been asking some questions in another post about some problems I've been having with my ignition switch....mainly that when I turn the key off the car doesn't die.
I'm figuring on having to replace the ignition switch on my 86 240GL but I'm hoping I don't have to replace the entire switch/column lock assembly.
It seems that I read somewhere that there is a procedure where you can simply remove the lock cylinder without removing the column lock assembly...
If I remember correctly it goes something like this: Remove steering column covers and under dash carpet....put key in ignition switch and turn to first position...Then press some sort of button on the top of the switch and slide the cylinder lock out of the housing. I can't remember where I read this (and can't find it again) but this sounds much easier than trying to seperate the steering column and pulling the steering wheel and everything else I've been reading about doing. If I remember correctly the original poster of this information even said that the cylinder lock was a really inexpensive part from the Volvo dealer...something less than $50.00.
If any of you know the correct procedure for doing this or have any other ideas, I'm all ears.
Thanks a million.
Dave