Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Idle/Rev Issues - Quick Response APPRECIATED

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle/Rev Issues - Quick Response APPRECIATED

I am just getting on my feet out of college and living on the west coast. Dont want to go right out and spend a bunch of money or throw down money for a diagnostic of a fine tuned Volvo expert like you may be able to answer my question a bit.

i do not have the diagnostic codes

My 01 s80 has it check engine light on. it will go on for a day and not be on the next. it has come and gone like that for about the last.. 3 weeks, but has not shown any problems or failure anywhere..

until the last couple days when i have turned it on the idling hops up and down and will stick at a higher rpm for a short time as if i hit the gas but i did not.

anybody know what could be the problem here so i can attack it directly and not have a dealer or mechanic work me for more than what I really need to have done right now !? Thanks so much in advance!!

Z

Old 10-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is like asking a doctor what is wrong with the patient without giving him the opportunity to examine the patient.

I am speculating
- ETM (Part US$550 + 2 hours labour + software)
or maybe
- pedal position sensor

Old 10-02-2011, 09:45 PM

sorry i understand. I have a BRAND NEW throttle body in.. if thats what the ETM is... so i would assume it is not that.. its been a year so unless it went bad again already.. thats insane.

just now.. driving home from work...

the gas pedal was much more touchy than it ever has been... i could not even keep my speed constant at anything below 45.

once i got to 50 and 55 and could remain constant my RPMS would surge and drop occassionally.. nothing longer than a split second ever minute or so.

check engine light is not flashing at me but it is on. temp gauge is high noon.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:45 AM

Before thinking it's some high dollar part, check for vacuum leaks, check around the collars connecting the turbo pipes to the engine along with any rubber hoses.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:46 PM

Likely your car has thrown a "generic" OBD code that any OBD reader can pull. Many places such as autozone will do this for free. Get the codes pulled or you are shooting in the dark.
The recommendation to check all vacuum pipes is a soild one.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:58 AM

I had a similar problem, and it was the hose that comes out of the intake manifold that goes into a couple of I think turbo switch controls or vacuum controls and then goes into the turbo/fresh air intake pipes.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:05 AM

Those holes in that are deal with hot heat temps and even if they look good they can be leaking, mines was a crack on the hose and went I really nailed the throttle the check engine light will flash at me.I personal check vacuum hoses with starter fluid spray. If you spray the vacuum line and the idle changes you have a leak there. Hope it help

Old 10-10-2011, 10:55 PM

my problem was just my turbo somethin or other sensors. it wasnt sending the correct throttle instructions to my turbo i guess.

thanks for all the help!