Repair or Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair or Replace?

I love my 1999 V70 and want to drive her to at least 200K miles (we’re at 187K now) and until my daughter graduates college in 3 years. Unfortunately, she is showing signs of age. I’d love your opinions on whether I should repair or replace. My mechanic replaced the gear sensor a few weeks ago and she drives better than ever. After driving her the other day, my husband was so impressed with how well she ran he suggested that perhaps we should get her all fixed up, rather than get a cheap replacement for the next 3 years.
Bearing in mind that I have to pay a mechanic for all work done, is it worth it to get her all fixed up?

The two big things are:
A/C has leaks in compressor (quoted $1500 to repair)
ABS module is apparently shot. Recent warning lights: ABS (almost constant for the last year or so), winter arrow, battery, engine, along with the odometer blanking out. No lights since gear sensor replaced.

Less important, but still inconvenient:
Ceiling fabric hanging down in windshield (does block the sun, though!)
Rear gate won’t stay up in cold weather (can you say “concussion”?)
Interior door panels unglued
Power seat randomly doesn’t work

What would you do? Thank you in advance!

Old 08-23-2016, 04:31 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Amy Shaffer Chalmers
I love my 1999 V70 and want to drive her to at least 200K miles (we’re at 187K now) and until my daughter graduates college in 3 years. Unfortunately, she is showing signs of age. I’d love your opinions on whether I should repair or replace. My mechanic replaced the gear sensor a few weeks ago and she drives better than ever. After driving her the other day, my husband was so impressed with how well she ran he suggested that perhaps we should get her all fixed up, rather than get a cheap replacement for the next 3 years.
Bearing in mind that I have to pay a mechanic for all work done, is it worth it to get her all fixed up?

The two big things are:
ABS module is apparently shot. Recent warning lights: ABS (almost constant for the last year or so), winter arrow, battery, engine, along with the odometer blanking out. No lights since gear sensor replaced.

I'd fix it up if you don't plan on putting tons of miles on every year. So you pay a couple of thousand - at least you know what you have after you are done. Good luck with this.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:09 AM
Default do it up

Hej Amy, at the moment my v70, a 1999/2000 is knocking on 340,000k and should easily make the 500,000. I have a friend that has a 850 that has done over 900,000. So the maintenance that your talking about will easily be repaid.

The ABS, are you sure its the module? The sensor do eventually wear out, I've just had to replace one of mine a easy fix taking about half an hour.
Air con unit, uhmm the seals do tend to dry out if you don't 'exercise' the unit in the middle of winter for a few minutes. I wouldn't know the cost of an overhaul ( I live in sweden) but 1500 seems a bit steep, try a different garage for a second quote. Put a bit of TLC into your volvo and she will repay you.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Amy Shaffer Chalmers
The two big things are:

A/C repair cost that much because in order for warranty to apply, the shop will have to replace condenser, compressor, hoses, dryer, valve, possibly the evaporator. If you can find a shop that will only replace a/c compressor and charge for you, the price will be much lower but they will not be able to offer you warranty of parts nor labor.

ABS repair
https://www.midwest-abs.com/

ABS (almost constant for the last year or so), winter arrow, battery, engine, along with the odometer blanking out. No lights since gear sensor replaced.
Check the fuses would be the first thing to do. Gear sensor or odometer gear? If odometer gear, someone would have to take the cluster out and maybe someone forgot to plug one of the plugs back in.

Headliner needs to be replace, or glue back in. I had good luck with this. Mask everything and spray in the area and then push the headlight and hold it for 20 seconds then you're done. https://www.amazon.com/3M-21210-Supe...ay+adhesive+77

Change the hatch shocks. Do NOT get URO.
Get Sachs
1999 VOLVO V70 2.3L L5 Turbocharged Lift Support | RockAuto

Costly to fix with no benefit whatsoever other than cosmetic.

Check the plugs and make sure they're not loose and lube the tracks. Changing seats is the only way I know how to fix it.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:22 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I would agree that you can fix the headliner yourself. You can buy new headliner material at the fabric store if you want. They keep it all the time.

The unglued door panels are common to the 99 V/S 70 and I have gotten along just fine fixing that for one dollar. I have just take the door panel off and stick it back together with "liquid nails" construction adhesive. If it "bubbles" above the armrest I don't fix that. I am talking about the two pieces of the door panel separating.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:13 PM

I have 220,000 on my 99 v70 and it runs so amazing that I can't believe it. In the last 100k, all I have done is rear brakes due to rust not wear, front brake hoses(dry rotted) and went to change the timing belt and it still is fine along with w/pump and bearings. I would repair as much as you can personally because A. it is rewarding and B. labor is free. Do a lot of reading on this forum on how to fix issues on my car and it is very helpful. Its not that hard to work on these cars and parts are reasonable. And ask me if you need any help, I now know a lot of the problem these cars have. Keep it!!!!!!